French Polynesia Oct 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FP diving is all about the passes - Tipuata at Rangiroa

Not sure if Air New Zealand fly just Auk - Papeete or anywhere else but worth a look.

I'd pick Moorea and have for a few days lying around and sightseeing - it's a beautiful island and hiring a car is easy. Other than up to Le Belvedere lookout there's only a ring road circling the island so you can't get lost. CC insurance should pay for hire car damage if you have any oopsies. Rangiroa - no point hiring a car, nowhere to go other than a tiny village or the supply shop which is within walking distance of the pass.

Other than going from/to the airport on Rangiora, you can bike around. There's just a single road and not much need for a car. Use GMaps satellite view to see how sparse it is!
Thanks. Good to know that I can bike around in RGI. I plan to rent a car for Moorea.

One other airline showing up is Delta operated by Air France - may be worth a look. No air NZ unfortunately.

Planning to do 2 dives in Rangiroa before liveaboard starts (10 nights). I contacted a few shops there. They have 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and a sunset dive. Should I do 1 dive each for incoming current and outgoing current?How is sunset dive there?

image.jpeg

From a chair on my deck wondering, but not caring, if the pilot who was already two hours late from the Marquisas would or would not make the Rangi - Papeete leg. I have never felt as connected to the sea and the sky as I did watching the sun set over the lagoon with dolphins splashing around in the pass and Marie feeding silky and black tip reef sharks crayfish shells and scraps she grew on the most marvellous island at the edge of the world.

That do ya mate?

Incoming, outgoing and a sunset dive. Rangiroa is one place I seem to have Sh!t luck with night dives. Every single dive "something" from divers panicking in the current to an actual serious incident, a four hour late behemoth cruise ship with 4000 people squeezing through the pass at speed and 3 times the boatman narrowly escaping getting hit by lightning .... I guess fair call but .. Aww cmon give me more than 17 minutes at sunset.

Doesn't happen anywhere else but I seem to be cursed to sit and watch that sunset while eating crayfish and drinking fresh coconut water.

I guess there are worse sunsets to stare at.

View attachment 532462

From a chair on my deck wondering, but not caring, if the pilot who was already two hours late from the Marquisas would or would not make the Rangi - Papeete leg. I have never felt as connected to the sea and the sky as I did watching the sun set over the lagoon with dolphins splashing around in the pass and Marie feeding silky and black tip reef sharks crayfish shells and scraps she grew on the most marvellous island at the edge of the world.

That do ya mate?
Spectacular!!

Back
Top Bottom