cameras on Cenote Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some guides will tell you that cameras are not allowed. depends on the cenote. i believe this is due to the fact that some land owners have someone there taking video and photos and they want to sell you those after your dive.
i can tell you that we have always brought our camera or gopro on these dives.
they will also tell you you are not allowed to bring any cutting devices on the dives. well i don't dive without at least one, if not 2 so.....

If you are not cave or cavern certified then leave the camera at home, focus on the dives and let the photo guy sell you the videos. Just my 2 PSI.

if your skill level is such that using a camera during the dive could cause buoyancy problems or other issues etc then i completely agree with Jay above.

Pretty much mirroring what was said above. I take mine even though I HATE taking pics while diving. I've never had a problem with it but both me and my wife are adequate divers. I would think that your first cenote dive will be at a location with limited overhead so your DM/Guide can evaluate your skills and air consumption. Our guide has actually canceled dives for divers that did not have the skills to dive the cenotes yet. As long as the camera does not interfere with your diving, I don't think you will have any issues. If focusing on the camera has you bouncing off the ceiling or roto-tilling the floor, leave it in the truck.

If you are diving out of Playa Del Carmen, Cenote Xperience is one of the best dive operators I have ever dove with.

Safe travels,
Jay

I've done about 20 cenote dives at various sites with various guides and have never been advised to not bring a camera. Any guide who does so is probably saying this on the basis of your experience level.

I take my camera on just about every dive I go on, cenote or otherwise. Having been diving for over 30 years, I am very comfortable with my buoyancy. In the dozen or so years we have been diving cenotes, I can't recall once being asked by anyone to leave my camera behind.

We dove 2 cenotes 2 weeks ago (with CeneoteXperience - awesome DiveOP). We saw signs indicating the guide should NEVER be holding a camera (even to take a photo of a client). They don't want the guide to focus on anything besides the dive. That said, I carried my GoPro, and another fellow had a full rig with strobes. He got some really nice pics that he shared with me this week. El_Pit_01.jpgDos_Ojos_02.jpg

Definitely not a problem at Dos Ojos. Most cenotes are private property and could have their own rules. I was a brand-new diver (as in, it was my third dive post-OW cert); they not only let me in (after a mini checkout dive in the open water entry area); they let me bring my GoPro after I promised to focus on bouyancy first and foremost. I kept my word and only had to put a finger down at one point to stop my forward momentum, but my pictures were totally unusable. Another guy in our group, an OW instructor with cavern cert and a much better camera, got some amazing shots, so it was definitely just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom