Rebuilding regulator and BCD I just bought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also posted pictures of the Zeagle BCD. The guy I bought it from said it had only been on 5 dives. I really don't think he was lying to me.

This BC may have only been on 5 dives, but it's old. I would say at the very least 15 years old, likely more. Not necessarily a bad thing, but for what it's worth you don't know how long it sat in the storage since the last dive. And how well it was rinsed prior to that. It may have salt residue deposits inside.

You can easily unscrew and remove bottom dump valves and remove pieces that will look like this: https://www.mcssl.com/store/zeaglee...ors/bcd-components/zeagle-over-pressure-valve

It has a couple of plastic parts, a rubber seal, and a spring. Just wash everything carefully. While it's drying, look at the threads on the bladder carefully and make sure it's not cracked. Then screw everything together. It very well may solve your BC issue.

Your second stage you can also take apart with minimal set of tools. Make sure there are no holes in the rubber diaphragm and in the mouthpiece. Looking inside will give you and idea of how well the set was maintained.

I appreciate the input. No worries. I understand I can kill myself.

I think I'm capable of doing the regulator myself. I watched the video and it seems doable.

BTW, I taught myself some auto mechanics through youtube videos also. lol. Timing Belt kit on a 2006 sienna. Valve cover gaskets. Spark plugs and coils. fuel filters. fuel injectors. sensors. alternators. belts. tensioners. oil changes. transmission fluid and filter. brake kits. brake fluid exchange. calipers. diff fluid. intake manifold. exhaust manifold and cats and resonator. radiator, coolant, water pump, hoses, AC compressor, condenser, recharge. sunroof fix. window regulator. no carbs though. I've never had an old enough car with a carb. =) But I might try to fix the carb on a 2002 Honda CRF 450 since its not starting.

I will definitely refer back to this thread. For now I need to work on something else. And I will be considering VDH videos. Who should I buy parts from if I end up doing it? Also where should I look to buy the tools? I did some searching but it looks like no one site has every tool I will need for the regulators. I'd rather have a one stop shop.

Thanks again

Noah

Regarding the Overpressure/Dump Valve on the BC, DGX BC Overpressure Relief and Dump Valve | Dive Gear Express® is the link to a generic one on DGX's site which shows the pieces quite well. I had success with just flipping the rubber disc seal on one (it was held in place with rubber cement). Also, do a thorough warm water rinse.... both old ones I bought had a significant amount of salt crystals in them. Unscrewing both the dump valve and the inflator elbow will give you ready access to remove any built up salt. DGX also sells a generic inflator pretty cheap if you find that that has any leaks and don't want to rebuild it.

v/r

James

www.scubatools.com for tools
www.vintagedoublehose.com for parts
Some things you can find for less elsewhere, but for one stop shopping? Those two.

As for what to get, PM me when you're ready to order. Easier to chat about options vs. cost. There are some threads in this Forum as I recall. Search "Tool list" and check the box "This forum only".

Regarding the Overpressure/Dump Valve on the BC, DGX BC Overpressure Relief and Dump Valve | Dive Gear Express® is the link to a generic one on DGX's site which shows the pieces quite well. I had success with just flipping the rubber disc seal on one (it was held in place with rubber cement). Also, do a thorough warm water rinse.... both old ones I bought had a significant amount of salt crystals in them. Unscrewing both the dump valve and the inflator elbow will give you ready access to remove any built up salt. DGX also sells a generic inflator pretty cheap if you find that that has any leaks and don't want to rebuild it.

v/r

James

Downside of mfg like Zeagle, their parts are proprietary.
The DGX ones you linked will not fit a Zeagle.

@rsingler reg repair is of similar difficulty to car repair imo

if you are the type that can rebuild a carb over the weekend in your garage, you are likely able to rebuild your own reg

I think regulator repair is more like repairing the brakes on your car. If your comfortable doing the brakes, you'll be OK doing regulators. And the consequences of doing it wrong are also similar.

You should gently try to inhale on the g250 when the air is off and the reg is attached to the tank. If you don’t feel a pretty tight vacuum and essentially zero air when you try to inhale, then the leaking water is probably from some
Problem in that second stage.

Downside of mfg like Zeagle, their parts are proprietary.
The DGX ones you linked will not fit a Zeagle.
The dump valve I linked to primarily for the image showing the parts.
The threads on the flange depend on the year.... I have a very old zeagle that has the standard thread pattern. As for the power inflator, as long as the corrugated hose diameter isn't unique it will fit (also worked on mine).
I can't speak to the newer stuff... But I did notice the zeagle site said they changed the dump valve design in 2014.

@Noa8877 The MK10 is an easy piston rebuilt. It was the first regulator I serviced and I don’t even work on cars!

At minimum get...

The service kit from VDH and Herman’s MK10 tool.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

From scubatools...

Scubapro Mk5/Mk10 O'ring Tool Kit

Scubapro Multi-Tool, Aluminum

And this...

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

The rest of what you need you will probably have in a well stocked tool chest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom