Driving Solo and staying entertained

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Radio and a huge music library for me. Headset and a few calls can help keep the isolation at bay.

I've done a few marathon solo drives.
FLL to Richmond - 14 hrs. 1 stop in SC to pick up fuel & to-go food and maybe a quick pee break somewhere.
Denver to Philly - 31ish hrs. More stops due to only a 6hr fuel range on that vehicle.

My electric cooler is great too for keeping the body going.
It is also a "get into the zone" thing.
Also avoid your natural "go to sleep" time. Around 10 PM my body and mind are shitting down. If I push through that time frame, I can drive all night and be fine.

I commute 2 hours each way to work everyday. I'll second audio books - I can try to give some suggestions if you have some genres you enjoy.

I commute 2 hours each way to work everyday. I'll second audio books - I can try to give some suggestions if you have some genres you enjoy.

World War II - both fiction and non-fiction
Anything written by John Grisham (but I’ve read them all)
Realistic science fiction (The Martian was awesome)
Charles Frazier is my favorite author, but I’ve read all.
I take that back...Ferrell Sams is my favorite author, but I’ve read all of his as well.
Stephen Ambrose (History), I haven’t read all of his. I’ll check to see if he has any on Audio.

Hopefully this will be enough for some suggestions.

I lean towards horror and fantasy so I'll take a crack at where our interests might intersect....

First off - are you a member of audible and if so did you see the $5 sale going on right now?

Second - some suggestions:
Harder SciFi - "the 3 Body Problem" by Liu Cixin
I'll try to take a leap from Ferrol Sams and suggest some Southern Gothic - maybe "The Elementals" or "Blackwater" from Michael McDowell?
For a long road trip maybe "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck?
For WW2 fiction the "Caine Mutiny" by Herman Wouk was very good.
If you want to go waay back into history I found "The War of the Roses" by Dan Jones kept my attention waaaay more than I expected.

Hopefully there's something interesting in there you'll like. I'll look back through what I've listened to in the past year and see if anything else sticks out that might align with your interests.

I have a challenging work commute so I take advantage of my local library. I can peruse the catalog online and browse the shelves in person and find loads of interesting stuff - and it's all free. They have downloadable audible books, CD books, mp3 format - lots of choices. I select several items and if I find that one doesn't appeal to me, I just move on to the next.

Have you read "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson? That's a good read. And "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee is always compelling, also "Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane.

I haven't read "Artemis" by Andy Weir (author of "The Martian") but I am looking forward to it.

The voices in my head keep me entertained for hours.

It’s the thing you’re driving.

If you’re in your reclining living room chair auto robot, you’re going to need stimulus.

I drive a low-end supercar. It is all the entertainment I need. Drove a 1300 mile trip last month and never once used the speakers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom