What’s the most random or awesome thing you’ve found on a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My weirdest would have to be on a dive in 2017 I made in the Philippines while doing a 3-month DM internship... I found a half-empty aluminum scuba cylinder just hanging out on the bottom during a drift dive. It wasn’t rigged up for doubles or anything, it just looked like someone had forgotten to tighten their regulator and strap all the way and somehow the tank slipped off and got left without the person noticing they were out of air. Didn’t spot a body anywhere nearby (or hear of one washing up on shore), so I guess that wasn’t the case after all.

Most awesome... would have to be a GoPro Hero 5 Black, no name tag or identifying marks on it or the SuperSuit housing (or in the system software). Note to others: I now have a Hero 7 Black and my GoPro’s camera software “name” is my email address. It won’t stop a thief, but if someone honest picks it up from the bottom of the ocean, or finds it somewhere else, then at least they will have a way to get in touch with you. Anyway, we checked with all of the dive shops nearby (it was also in the Philippines) and nobody had reported one missing or lost.. left word with all of the local shops and after 2 weeks I gave it to one of the local DMs (I had no real use for it).

How about you?

I found a brass boot from a hard hat diver. I thought it was a sandal and was going to put it in a trash bag I carried on most of my dives. I was surprised when I picked it up and it was heavier than I expected.

My wife lost her prescription sunglasses one day in the lake. So my son and I made a point to “mark” our position visually. The next day we went back with our scuba gear and found them in about 10 minutes.

Saved us ~ $275 and we had fun.

We were diving in an area where a lot of visiting yachts temporarily anchor.

At about forty feet on a sandy bottom my buddy came across a large brass plant stand that must have fallen off one of the yachts. It’s about thirteen inches high, and depicts the three see-speak-hear-no-evil monkeys sitting in a circle. Each monkey has one hand extend over his head to support a plant. It weighs about twelve pounds, and is done in a kind of retro 1930’s style.
It’s really beautiful, I think.

My buddy picked this treasure out of the sand, and carried it for the rest of the dive. With great effort he was even able bring this heavy chunk of brass all the way back to shore.

Maybe he was sick of it by that point, or perhaps he noticed how I kept looking at it. Because for some unspoken reason, after all that effort, he just gave it to me.

Today it sits by my fireplace.
It will forever remind me of a great day of diving, and a very kind generous friend.

K.

I found a drone with a knockoff GoPro attached. The camera wasn't in any type of housing, so it's junk at this point, but I'm still trying to figure out if I can get the video off the SD card.

I found a drone with a knockoff GoPro attached. The camera wasn't in any type of housing, so it's junk at this point, but I'm still trying to figure out if I can get the video off the SD card.

I was looking earlier at a site that provided software to recover SD cards. I think this is it. What is nice, is that the give solutions before they sell their software.

7 Ways to Fix Corrupted SD Memory Cards & SD Card Recovery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom