Forehead (freeze?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron Lambright

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.

I've been looking over the threads trying to find a possible explanation for what I've experienced a couple times but I can't seem to find anything that truly fits.

I live in Michigan and therefore, pretty much every time I go down, I'm hitting 50 degree (F) or worse water. A couple times I have experienced a very intense piercing/stabbing pain on my forehead. NOT behind it in my sinuses but on the surface. I figured it was just the cold on my skin and it would subside but it didn't until I ascended to warmer water and then "poof" it was gone, no after effects.

Can anyone tell me if this is just, for some reason, my exposed skin on my forehead has an issue or is it something else? Also, does anyone know how I could avoid it?

Thanks!

I have had a similar episode in the local quarry. I had been taking a short surface interval floating on my back enjoying the 90 degree sunshine. I then descended quickly from the toasty surface to 100ft and 50 degrees. Felt like my head was going to explode, but eased after a short time.

I figured it was due to the marked and rapid change in temp. Similar to the "brain freeze" you get when you drink a frozen drink too quickly. Perhaps you experienced a similar situation?

The coldest water I've dived in was 53F, but I also experienced a sharp (but subtle and bearable) pain on the tiny bit of exposed skin between my mask and my hood. I adjusted my hood on the next dive so the edge overlapped the outside of my mask skirt; problem solved.

Do you wear a hood? I know several people who dive locally who don't wear a hood by the late summer as the water warms up a bit, but every time I try that I get a brain freeze (and my ears get cold too). Sounds like it's just the cold water on your skin. If you don't have a hood, get one. If you have one, try pulling it down over your mask skirt as Esprise Me suggests.

Part of Great Lakes diving. But it makes that thermocline feel so warm on the way back up. If are not wearing a hood I'd give that a try.

You need to wear a hood if you’re not already. Period. I wear one all the time. You just get used to it.

I went white water rafting in Maine in April. I fell out of the raft into 40+ degree water. It was like a brick hitting my forehead. The wool cap that I was wearing was gone. In hindsight, I wish I was wearing a scuba hood.

That cold pain is completely normal, but it should be avoided. Like everybody else, I would recommend a hood (or at least something to cover your forehead).

To mitigate the immediate problem, try to cover your forehead with your hand or with a glove.

You will experience similar pain in your eyes if you loose a mask in cold water (cover your face with your hand), and in your teeth if you keep a freeflowing regulator in your mouth in cold water (take breaks).

Thanks everyone! I do wear a nice 7/5 bibbed hood that keeps the rest of my head nice and warm. I figured it was just and exposed skin issue. It's comforting to get pretty good confirmation of that. "Subcooled" Thanks for the tip! I tried venting warm air out of my mask on my last dive. It felt great until I had to breath in and then instant cold again. :) I'll definitely try my glove next time. I'll also work on getting my hood to cover the troublesome area!

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom