Oceanic Geo 4.0 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BjörnBear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m writing this review because at the time of my purchase, I could find no user reviews about the Geo 4.0. I’m hoping this review might be useful for others who are considering this dive computer.

I chose this computer primarily due to configurability (options for liberal & conservative algorithms, PPO2 settings, etc.), slightly larger than watch sized wrist mount, and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth option was the primary reason I chose it over buying a leftover GEO 2.0, since adding the $100 proprietary cable to the $270 price of the Geo 2.0 put it just $30 shy of the retail price for the Geo 4.0.

The Good:
Liberal DSAT algorithm, with option to set to more conservative Pelagic Z+.
2 Nitrox mixes, each up to 100% in 1% increments from 21%, and PPO2 can be set between 1.2 to 1.6, in 0.05 increments.
Water activate works well, depth gauge is accurate, and default display while diving is simple and easy to understand.
Diver Log+ App is easy to use and intuitive, and allows you to set computer settings from the app.

The Bad:
For average sized male (6’ / 185 lbs), the strap is a little too short for use over a 5mm wetsuit. It does come with a strap extension, but with the extension, the strap becomes a little too long for use over a 5mm. YMMV, and it’s an easy strap to change out though, so if it doesn’t fit your needs, the aftermarket has solutions.

Standard dive display does not include water temperature. You have to cycle through the screens to find it. This may be nit-picking on my part.

Cycling through screens is not intuitive until you get used to the quirks. From main screen, the bottom left button cycles you through secondary screens. Then you press the upper right button to select a secondary screen. So far, so good. Now here’s where it gets stupid – at this point, the upper right button cycles options, while the lower left one changes the setting.

Best resource for getting familiar with screen navigation and settings is the U-Tube video about the Geo 2.0 – the screens and functionality are nearly identical.

The Ugly:
Bluetooth connectivity to iOS is very finicky. This may be in part due to the iPhone 7 I am using. I have no experience trying to connect to a different phone; iOS or Android.

The only way I can consistently get the computer and phone to pair is to first turn both computer and phone Bluetooth off. Then turn phone Bluetooth on, and tell the phone to forget the computer. Next turn computer Bluetooth on, open Diver Log + software, navigate to Geo 4.0 device settings, and hit connect from there.

Needless to say, downloading the data during your surface interval on the dive boat might be frustrating. I recommend waiting until the end of the day with a cold beer in hand.

Overall, I’d rate this computer 4 out of 5 stars, with the 1 star deducted for ease of use.

The Ugly:
Bluetooth connectivity to iOS is very finicky. This may be in part due to the iPhone 7 I am using. I have no experience trying to connect to a different phone; iOS or Android.

The only way I can consistently get the computer and phone to pair is to first turn both computer and phone Bluetooth off. Then turn phone Bluetooth on, and tell the phone to forget the computer. Next turn computer Bluetooth on, open Diver Log + software, navigate to Geo 4.0 device settings, and hit connect from there.

Needless to say, downloading the data during your surface interval on the dive boat might be frustrating. I recommend waiting until the end of the day with a cold beer in hand.

Overall, I’d rate this computer 4 out of 5 stars, with the 1 star deducted for ease of use.

I am wondering if it is a different experience if you were to initiate a Bluetooth sync using MacDive's bluetooth import function. For iOS, you usually don't go into the bluetooth settings to get it to connect for that app, you go straight to the Import section on MacDive to initiate it. Do you do it that way through the iphone settings or do you do it through Diver Log? I'm just rambling and wondering.

Thanks for your review. What's the log count on the Geo 4 that stays local to the computer? I think the Geo 2 was less than 30 or something.

Hi, great review. I'm a creature of habit and my first DC was an Oceanic GEO, then now I have a 2.0. I like the ease of it but I was jealous of a friend with the bluetooth to be able to down load her information so this may be an option. Not buying any time soon but good to know the kinks. Thanks.

We have 2 Oceanic Geo 4.0. Bluetooth syncing works great with Divelog DT

I am wondering if it is a different experience if you were to initiate a Bluetooth sync using MacDive's bluetooth import function. For iOS, you usually don't go into the bluetooth settings to get it to connect for that app, you go straight to the Import section on MacDive to initiate it. Do you do it that way through the iphone settings or do you do it through Diver Log? I'm just rambling and wondering.

Thanks for your review. What's the log count on the Geo 4 that stays local to the computer? I think the Geo 2 was less than 30 or something.

@outofofficebrb Oceanic specs show 24 dives stored in log, but I haven't surpassed that mark on this unit to verify yet. As for MacDive, I'm hesitant to buy the app for fear that I may find I have the same issue. Will have to ponder that.

Recently upgraded to a Geo 4.0 from a Veo 2.0. Haven’t taken it diving yet, but your comment regarding difficulty finding water temperature readings jumped out. The downloadable user manual clearly shows the standard display icons on page 8. The Veo was no problem regarding water and/ or surface temps. All in plain sight.I would expect the same with the Geo 4.0

Do many people buy this divecomp? Coz there aren't many review for this product even in leisurepro and Amazon give it a bad review

Do many people buy this divecomp? Coz there aren't many review for this product even in leisurepro and Amazon give it a bad review

The 4.0 is a very new version. That’s why there aren’t a lot of reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom