1st time Roatan or Utila trip - December 2019 - advice wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go do not forget to pack some bug spray.
Definitely!!!! Sand Flies are nasty (biters) and there can be swarms of them around dusk.

We had good results with Deep Woods Off. Don't get it or anything with DEET in it on your dive gear - it can damage rubber.

I've been to Roatan at Christmas a few times. Most times the seas were choppy and lots of rain. Very cold boat rides on return with wet gear. Every time to my recollection the weather cleared up after New Years day. Since I was staying for that extra week, was able to more enjoy the trip.

Have you considered going further south? I really enjoy diving with Aquanauts on Granada.

I've been to Roatan at Christmas a few times. Most times the seas were choppy and lots of rain. Very cold boat rides on return with wet gear. Every time to my recollection the weather cleared up after New Years day. Since I was staying for that extra week, was able to more enjoy the trip.

Have you considered going further south? I really enjoy diving with Aquanauts on Granada.
Well, that doesn't sound good. Looking at average weather data, it seems the water temperature doesn't fluctuate much, but the chance of light rain goes up a lot. Does anyone else have experience with Roatan (south shore) in December?

Do you have any recommendations for dive ops in Grenada? That's assuming you experienced better weather conditions there in December.

Definitely!!!! Sand Flies are nasty (biters) and there can be swarms of them around dusk.

We had good results with Deep Woods Off. Don't get it or anything with DEET in it on your dive gear - it can damage rubber.
I know. We use Natropel (available at REI) with good results.

My wife and I spent a restful week on Roatan in 2017 Turquoise Bay Resort/Subway Watersports August 2017 We flew American from Philadelphia to West Palm and stayed at our townhouse in Boynton Beach before taking the flight from Miami to Roatan. If I remember correctly, the connection time in Miami was extremely short if doing it in a day. We enjoyed our stay at Turquoise Bay and diving with Subway Watersports. However, we were there in August. We were told that divers were bused over to the south side for diving in the winter when conditions dictated. That would take a lot of the fun out of it for me. I'm not sure they could still offer the 3 dives per day.

December expect rain, moderate, heavy, and monsoon levels with periods of mostly cloudy.

If you expect this and the sun does come out you will be happy.

There is a chance you could be very lucky and weather gods will smile and you will be rain free. But you will have to be very lucky.

Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed!

Been there where it rained EVERYDAY. Never going during wet season again. Not worth the risk . I only go March through June, but June is getting toasty.

We go to Roatan every year for the last 5 or so. Just got back. Latest we've been is October, but friends live there and other friends go for the Christmas week. We have always stayed at Cocolobo, 5 minutes walk from West End. We now have a partial ownership of a rental unit ("garden cottage") there. My wife and kids spent all of July there. Obviously we really like it there, so this is a little biased! The water temps are pretty steady 78-83. December is going to be closer to 78. The water temp at the surface is the same at 100'. I dive in a rash guard and then add a 2mm vest for 3rd dive or night dive. The boat ride back is the coldest part, but they are generally only 5-10 minutes.

The sand flies bite, but you don't necessarily know until they start itching!!

Food and diving options are plentiful in West End. Our preference is Sun Divers, but there are very good alternatives all within a short walk.

We fly AA, and due to past issues in Miami we try to fly via Atlanta or DFW. Due to the Boeing 800 max issues our return flights this year were changed a month from travel dates and were going to require an overnight in either DFW or Atlanta with no 'help' from AA. With 4/5 kids with us that was not good, so we opted to fly return through Miami. Thankfully they have done a lot of work to immigration and customs (mostly kiosks now) and have importantly, to me, changed it so that permanent residents (me) can go through with citizens (family). That was not the case previously and caused a lot of extra time, headaches, frustration, missed connections etc. etc.

When flying into RTB, get seats in rows 25-28 (of 30 or so) if you can't get near the front. They open up the rear doors so you actually get off much quicker, and as the lines can be long once you're in the building this can make a big difference. Left side of the plane (looking forward) will give you views of the island as you approach.

@FezUSA Do your friends who go at Christmas dive? If so, what has been their experience with diving in December?

Yes they dive at Christmas. @NDL_Diver hit it spot on. It's weather, so somewhat unpredictable. Go expecting cooler temps, clouds, rain, and some wind. Anything better is a bonus!! Climbing back on the boat ladder is usually done in 2' swells. I'd want a hoodie or fleece etc. for the boat ride back.

Underwater is a few degrees cooler, but otherwise the same good diving.

There's no shore dive at Turquoise Bay in case you wanted one, .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom