Shore Diving Nearest Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read a lot about BHB and Lauderdale by the Sea, mostly before diving both spots (admittedly only a few times). Until I read this post by @DeepSeaExplorer , I've never seen anyone prefer LBTS to BHB and that mirrors my experience as well.

There are quite a few of us that prefer the shore diving in Broward over BHB :wink:

I don't even consider BHB a shore dive. I have been there A LOT out of convinience, but its a PITA. Crowds, silters, snorkelers, snobs.
There are numerous spots South of Pompano to Hollywood or so with decent reef structure and life. Its up the divers ability (kicking it to second or third reef) and parking availability.

It’s my choice.

I travel M-Th every week and finally decided I’d rather come home to the ocean.... and my wife is sick of hearing me say that if I was single I would be living in Florida :cool:

Main requirements are for it to be a good experience for the kids and within an hour of a good airport (airport with lots of flight options)

I think Orlando and Tampa areas would both meet this requirement so have been exploring both.

Collecting info now and will visit a few weekends in Sept to decide which areas we like.
I'm a city kid living in Orlando, also moved down just to soak in Florida vibes and loving it. However, if you are traveling Mon-Thurs for work, you might get a little sick of traveling weekends for play. I love living in Orlando because I get to drive up north and do cave dives, or drive south and do ocean dives, but there's nothing exactly convenient. "Close" for me is a 1.5 hour drive each way and after diving all day, it gets very tiring. I have the luxury of being on my own so I can pull over and sleep in a rest area if I have to, but you might not have that luxury.

Tampa is good too, and St. Pete area is a great place to live. Tampa's airport eclipses Orlando's and the west coast beaches are gorgeous and family friendly (though not the best Florida diving by any means). If I were moving to Orlando I'd look somewhere near downtown Orlando like Winter Park, which is also great for families and just overall has a more authentic Florida vibe.

Best of luck!

I live in South East Orlando, and make regular day trips to SE Florida. Like you, I travel a lot. I'm in the Lake Nona area in Orlando; it is less than ten minutes from my townhouse to the Delta curbside checkin. I really like the fact when I'm returning from a long international trip (Singapore in February this year) that I'll be home 15 minutes from the curbside pickup. It is 2 hours and 20 minutes from my townhouse to my regular day boat dives in Jupiter or West Palm; and also 2 hours and 20 minutes to BHB. Everybody has different interests, obviously, but for me the diving I'm willing to drive for is Fort Pierce Inlet and south....all the way to Key West.

For shore diving near Orlando, that would be the Blue Heron Bridge. But it can only be dived at high tide. But it is a great dive. I have seen mention of a few shore diving along the FL east coast. But most decent reefs are pretty far offshore. From Lake Mary, I would figure West Palm asa three hour haul. Sure, you can drive down, dive and drive back but it is a long day.

For shore diving near Orlando, that would be the Blue Heron Bridge. But it can only be dived at high tide.

I've had local divers tell me, and I confirmed with Force-E that decent diving can be done at the BHB other than at high tide. That much being said, it's a crap shoot, and you need to be prepared to deal with currents and abort if visibility is poor or current is too strong. Which is why it's usually only done by locals who are familiar with the site and who didn't travel a long ways to get there.

You can also night dive BHB at high tide. Check the dive shops nearby for a night dive permit.

I live in South East Orlando, and make regular day trips to SE Florida. Like you, I travel a lot. I'm in the Lake Nona area in Orlando; it is less than ten minutes from my townhouse to the Delta curbside checkin. I really like the fact when I'm returning from a long international trip (Singapore in February this year) that I'll be home 15 minutes from the curbside pickup. It is 2 hours and 20 minutes from my townhouse to my regular day boat dives in Jupiter or West Palm; and also 2 hours and 20 minutes to BHB. Everybody has different interests, obviously, but for me the diving I'm willing to drive for is Fort Pierce Inlet and south....all the way to Key West.

Hey maybe we'll bump into each other in the Delta Lounge sometime :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom