The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did EBay say they removed you? They actually said ut was due to AquaLung or is that your opinion?

Sounds weird to me, but if this is correct we could support you in objecting. Have you tried re-registering under a new name and new postings?

Willar:
Why did EBay say they removed you? They actually said ut was due to AquaLung or is that your opinion?

Sounds weird to me, but if this is correct we could support you in objecting. Have you tried re-registering under a new name and new postings?

I haven't been removed from Ebay yet... and yes, Aqualung was indeed the party responsible for the removal (I asked) and was given the email to the company representing them which is Netenforcers. No specific reason was given (which sucks) and Ebay stated that they did not have to give a reason. Any company apparently can fax in a form to ebay saying that your listing is violating their intellectual property rights.

From Ebay:
Examples of potential trademark infringement are replica watches, or
counterfeit handbags and accessories, and the inappropriate use of brand
names in the title of a listing title that offers an item made by
another company.

So how can I sell an interface I make for use with Suunto products if I can't use the Suunto name in the title of the listing? To be clear, Ebay did not mention any particular violation but I assume since the listing says "Suunto Interface" that was part of the problem. I have since changed it to "PC Interface for Suunto...". I would be glad to insert copyright/trademark symbols, but Ebay doesn't offer that option.

part of original email from Ebay​

We would like to let you know that we removed your listing:
7114474158 Suunto Interface:Cobra,Vyper,Vytec,Mosquito,D3 because a Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program participant notified us, under penalty of perjury, that your listing uses a rights owner's image and/or copyrighted text without authorization.
We have credited any associated fees to your account. We have also notified the bidders that the listing was removed, and that they are not obligated to complete the transaction.
If you relist this or any other similar items on eBay, your account likely will be suspended.
If you believe your listing was ended in error, or have questions regarding the removal of this listing, please contact the VeRO Program participant directly at:

[VeRO Member] (jerks... didn't even list their name or email address...)
[email address] (I had to contact ebay to see who it was from....)

Thats when I was told by an ebay representative that it was on behalf of Aqualung USA and that I wasn't an authorized internet seller of Suunto products or some crap... I've never sold a single suunto product that wasn't used and listed as such. Heck, the only thing I've ever sold that was a Suunto product was an actual Suunto interface and that was just one...

Again, another thing that really sucks is that there were/are two listings for other aftermarket interfaces that listed "Suunto Interface" in the title... mentioned dive manager and even had several images of the divemanager software... but these guys weren't targeted. I've never advertised my products as Suunto products and I've never done anything but support Suunto products. I don't take money away from Suunto because most people that buy from me wouldn't pay Suunto's prices anyway... they would either find a way to build it themselves or go without. I know that If I couldn't built one, I would go without it.

I haven't had any reply yet to my email to Aqualung/Suunto which isn't unusual because they have never replied to any emails I've sent them but I'll keep you informed of what I hear. Any lawyers out there have any feedback on this or would like to represent me if need be...

I only have one thing to say...unfortunately it would just get censored!

Just another fine example of how f'd up this industry is.

F U Aqualung!

I bought one of your interfaces and love it. Their price is BS!!! If you didn't make them I would have still bought the real cable, but it sure as hell would have been a used one on ebay.

jamiei:
Since I also make them, I purchased one from him to see what it was like. He originally tried to sell just the circuit to me to be used in my units before he began selling them on ebay. His price to me was much too high so I declined his offer. What you get is an interface with a rg45? plug (network cable) that will only work with the d3 and mosquito and from my experience doesn't seem like it would be very reliable there either based on the current connection setup. I have a cobra and there is no way it will work on it. Due to the design of the connection (plug), it could be quite hard to maintain contact between the dive computer and the interface during a transfer without it timing out. It's not bad for the price, but there is no way I could offer what I make for that price because I use something a little more high tech than a network plug and so my material costs are higher and my interface is more labor intensive. I would say I spend approximately twice as long building my interface as he does his. Mine features gold plated spring contacts which are designed not to slip off the dive computer contacts whereas his design used the thin contacts of a network plug which relies on a tight fit from pressing the plug into the slot on the dive computer. I'm really not sure why he doesn't improve the design of his connection to make the interface universal other than the additional time involved and thus increased cost. I think it would sell better that way. Please don't take anything I've said as a biased knock on what he makes. I'm in no competition with him. I make what I make and he makes what he makes... some prefer his and some prefer mine. I just have always tried to do anything I can to make my interface better for the consumer and still stay within a reasonable price, which I have. Both of our designs feature basically the same circuit and both will work with a usb adapter. I posed the question of warranty to him and he replied that he offers a 6 month repair warranty where as the buyer pays for shipping (this was when he first started offering them several months ago). I have not actually tested a transfer with this unit since it doesn't work with the cobra, but the software did recognize the interface. I think thats about all the info I have for you.

Bought it, tried it. PnP within 5 minutes I have my profiles up on the software! BTW so far the connection to the watch has been rock solid. Can't see how it can fall out! YMMV

Jamie,
Any update on your success with eBay? Can you advertise as "Pc Interface for Suunto" and put disclaimer in description that the item is not made by Suunto and is not endorsed by them. I would think a legal disclaimer in the ad would satisfy EBay.

Best wishes!

(P.S. Mine is working great, thanks!)

As of just a few minutes ago, I have not heard anything further from either ebay or aqualung. The title now reads: PC Interface / Download Cable for Suunto Dive Computers and I have an obnoxiously obvious disclaimer at the top of my listing. The listing that was removed stated that the interface was not made by suunto nor did I make any mention of including the software with the interface. The only thing I did do differently in that listing that I haven't done before is include a screen shot from divemanager. The ironic thing is that the other people selling aftermarket interfaces include several screen shots of divemanager in their listings and have in many listings... I include one screen shot one time in my listing and they come out of the woodwork after me and completely ignore the other sellers that use the same/similar wordage in their listings and use more images of suunto's software.

Jamie,

That's a pretty sizeable disclaimer you've got on eBay :) . Sorry to hear of the troubles you have been having. Hope they stop pestering you.

Cheers,

Andrew

The size of the disclaimer reflects my level of frustration... and my attempt to do everything I can to prevent Suunto/Aqualung from having me banned from Ebay in an attempt to crowd out the competition so to speak. I've only had good things to say about Suunto in the past and hope that this was possibly just poor judgement on the part of an employee of Netenforcers (that apparently doesn't fully understand my product) and not an act initiated by Suunto/Aqualung directly.

jamiei:
... and my attempt to do everything I can to prevent Suunto/Aqualung from having me banned from Ebay in an attempt to crowd out the competition so to speak.
Hey Jamie, Got the cable on Friday. It took me about 15 minutes to install the USB to Serial adapter I purchased from somebody else using your directions. Then another 5 minutes to install your cable and I was in business. Works wonderful. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom