Reef House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkpix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have been to Reef House 6 times. First 5 were great, last time a disaster. They had turned it into a party spot for x-pats and was very noisy well into the night. The manager had given way too much authority to a guy who had no business making any decisions, a real disaster.

Has anyone been there recently? We would love to go back, but our last time there was so bad that we are really concerned.

Thanks, BK

Used to be a great place for budget conscious divers.
My last trip there was 2017. That was the culmination of a two or three year change of focus from dive resort to party spot. Screams of corn hole! and loud music were not what I was looking for after a day of diving.
I have not been back. It’s sad because there is, as you know, great diving to be had down the east end way, and Davit & Choco are a blast to dive with. But I guess they found a better return on investment from the party crowd.

My last trip there was 2017. That was the culmination of a two or three year change of focus from dive resort to party spot. Screams of corn hole! and loud music were not what I was looking for after a day of diving.
I have not been back. It’s sad because there is, as you know, great diving to be had down the east end way, and Davit & Choco are a blast to dive with. But I guess they found a better return on investment from the party crowd.
Yep, our thoughts exactly.

We have been to Reef House 6 times. First 5 were great, last time a disaster. They had turned it into a party spot for x-pats and was very noisy well into the night. The manager had given way too much authority to a guy who had no business making any decisions, a real disaster.

Has anyone been there recently? We would love to go back, but our last time there was so bad that we are really concerned.

Thanks, BK

I am really surprised, when we were there years ago it was very quiet and not a party place at all!

I see that they are advertising a Pool Party with live entertainment, do they have a pool? I don't think that they had one when we were there. Do they consider the swimming area in front of the resort to be a "pool"?

ReefHousePoolParty.jpg

@KevinG58 That's curious to me. Is the party every day or just on Sunday?

Do they consider the swimming area in front of the resort to be a "pool"?

I always have, and from the advert, you could easily see that they do, too.

Reef House Resort has always suffered from “economy of scale”. There is a “tipping point” of the minimum number of guests to retain overall profitability. In the early days of Roatan, RHR and the great number of similar sized resorts were workable, certainly better than letting a large house lay unused. No longer.

Due to increased fixed costs of operation, such a business can no longer exist serving 12 guests and maintaining huge line items like a dive operation. The future of similar dive resort micros is undeniable unless they successfully market a perceived uniqueness (that costs money and a suspension of disbelief), or that they switch, at least, to an of-premises dive op. Many new Roatan dive “resorts” are following this model.

But- there is a difference. The new dive resorts offering external contracted dive services (the best known is Subway), is that they have sufficient undeveloped land to later increase their room count by reinvestment building. RHR has reached its physical limit of expansion (from Day 2) Twenty plus years ago they missed a financial window of opportunity to buy out their neighbors, Combine an aging U.S. based, non present ownership with a decline in tourism (9/11), that was the irrevocable path that they selected. Someone will soon buy the property for a private home likely after it lies in disuse for a time...maybe that phase has begun~ what with the marketing of it as a once-a-week party spot- it's positive cash flow and you get live music. Depends on when they hit the "off" button- as it is a very tiny place.

This was one of my top five of Roatan, and why not? It was one of the first! The boats were always marginal, but the DM Davit made it work, even if held together by spit and string, even after sinking their huge investment of a cabin cruiser. The Manager Mike had a good hand, but due to unavoidable declining overall profitability, Stateside ownership decided that they could do without him. It was predictable.

RHR used to be a place that I would recommend with a very few cautions, now, more than a needing a couple of straight out warnings. I do not know about the loud music, but if you want to get a feel for Caribbean Dive resort travel of the early days, back when it had a totally different vibe that simply can not be explained- only sensed- get on down and do RHR before it joins the long lines of the disappeared.

Sleep when you’re back home, it’s highly overrated. Go now,

My all time favorite resort was Bay Island Beach Resort. Wish they could have stayed in business. When they closed I asked Ted about which operation would be closest to what BIBR offered. He recommended RHR so we went there as a group. Our group loved it and felt as if they gave you a good product for the price. We all agreed they had the best diving in Roatan.

Sounds like things may have gone south since we were there.

I don't understand how one night a week is such a deterrent. Yes, if it was every day, I can understand but what is the big deal about one night? But I guess that is just me. I enjoy some music, fun, laughter and a beach party, just not every night. And what time does this party shut down, anyway? Is it midnight or 2 a.m.?

From the pictures it looks like Riding Rock Inn on San Salvador hasn't changed much over the years, see link. It is still a small, dedicated dive resort on a tiny, remote island. It's been a long time since we visited RRI but it was some of the best Bahamas diving that we did, and there were lots of sharks! The dive op was great and the homestyle meals were very good.

Bahamas dive resort for scuba diving walls, big game fishing San Salvador island

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom