Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for pictures of the Calipso. I'm only seeing renders.
Also, has she actually gone on a trip yet? I'm imagining she has since the loss of the Majestic.

I don't think she is in the water yet. I understand she was supposed to be going in the water this week and has her first dive cruise scheduled for Aug 8. Will keep you posted with images when we get them.

Be patient, as soon as they have pics, they'll be posting them! :D

Calipso went into the water Thurs, 18 July, for all inspections, trials, tests. Everything is good to go. Our first departure is 8-15 August. I am in Galapagos where the internet can be ala 1995 dial up, so posting anything from here has been mission impossible. Sometimes, just getting emails out is a challenge, even with no attachments. I believe new photos will to be taken this week to replace all renderings. There is a video uploaded to our Facebook page of her going into the water.

She has so many great touches, nothing really splashy, but rather efficient and well done. We have the ability to livestream to the salon TV whatever is beneath us at anchor. In Darwin, that's usually 40-50 Silky sharks. All 8 double cabins are convertible to 1 bed. No carpeting anywhere. Touch lamps above the beds. On demand TVs. USB plugs in the cabins. No passage outside the panoramic cabin windows means total privacy without having to draw the shades. 220 V plugs in the salon for international visitors. No hoses on the ceiling of the dive deck, clean lines. 4 wonderful hot showers on the dive deck. Bi-level rinse tank so you're not soaking your dry clothes to get your GoPro out of the bottom of a deep rinse tank. Nice jacuzzi, BBQ, dining and lounging on the sun deck. And the satellite radar for Wi-Fi is huge. We shall see how well it works. I could keep going, but you get the idea. And, of course, that absolutely everything from plumbing to engines is new is great!

Our guides were both principal guides on other Galapagos liveaboards and have years of experience. Same with the crew...all are experienced on Galapagos liveaboards, not just naturalist cruises. Owners have done a great job organizing the Calipso team. She is well prepared for any emergency in both gear and crew training. To describe that in detail would take a whole post of its own.

That the owners are as concerned about the happiness of the crew as the passengers really pleases me. The galley is large, all stainless steel and is air-conditioned! I've been in some pretty hot galleys and wondered how the crew spent 14 hours a day working in those conditions. There is also a dining room for the crew (rare), also air-conditioned.

Calipso owners are actually both the owners and operators, again rare. And while they are from simple origins, they are an educated lot (BS, Masters and PhD) who are dedicated, honest people with a very strong sense of morality - 3 brothers and 1 sister. This is a project 10 years in the making and a family who have put their all on the line. I think it's both a special boat and a special operation. I'm honored to be a part of it.

I added some snapshots to the gallery in our construction blog. There's also a video of her running at 11 knots against an 8 knot current on our Facebook page. Unfortunately, the internet in the islands is too slow for me to upload an image here. She's about to leave the mainland and head to Galapagos. Sorry, but no professional shots yet...soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom