Default Nitrox Setting for Perdix AI in OC Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2:
@TerryC and @rabe think it doesn't switch automatically.
Exactly: it doesn't switch automatically (which, btw, it would be insane if it really could do that, but this is another story).

When you plan a dive with multiple gasses, you program them on the Perdix, and when is time, you switch gas, then you switch also on the computer (in that order exactly).

g2:
Do you mean it switches automatically (which would be a huge safety issue), or simply permits a rec diver to switch manually (desirable behavior)?

@TerryC and @rabe think it doesn't switch automatically.

It doesn't switch automatically. When a better gas becomes available, the area with the current gas mix becomes yellow. Beyond that it is up to you to change your gas using the menu. The TTS calculation assumes that you are going to make that gas switch, but the deco algorithm doesn't change the deco schedule until you actually do.

So after talking to Shearwater in detail and using this recently on multiple dives in Cozumel - it is a NON ISSUE unless you violate DECO.

So you can set up 3 gases for REC diving (21/32/36) and switch away using the quick change gas menu between dives. Worked flawlessly for me as I never broke DECO or got close. Would dive air 1st dive, and during SI change to 32 or 36 and then back again next day for air.

Loved how easy and simply it was vs any other computer out there.

As a general rule: on a computer do not set ON any gas you don't carry or you don't plan to use in that dive. There's no reason to do otherwise (especially because you can set and change their state during the dive in case of a emergency or unplanned mix usage).

So I have been arguing with SW's CS about the issue of in REC mode - if you go into DECO and have more than one gas on, the computer may switch to one of the other gases as since you have the other gases (up to 3) ON - it assumes you are carrying them.

My argument is - in OC recreational mode, you should not ever assume/allow that to happen as they is a technical dive and NOT rec (carrying multiple bottles/gases).

They stand by their argument that its a "tech" based computer / where they came from. My point is in REC mode it shouldnt be allowed to auto switch.

Heck even in tech mode I dont think I would ever want it to even think about auto switching..........

Whats everyone think? Should a rec mode allow for auto gas switching like that? I think in Rec you should be able to program 3 gases and switch between them only when on surface. If you want to switch at any dive it should have to be in TEC mode.

Thoughts?
It auto switches ????? or flags you to change to another gas that it turned on??? this is dangerous if it auto switches.

It auto switches ????? or flags you to change to another gas that it turned on??? this is dangerous if it auto switches.

It doesn't auto switch. In ANY mode. It highlights your gas selection when there is a better gas turned on, but it doesn't auto switch.

It doesn't auto switch. In ANY mode. It highlights your gas selection when there is a better gas turned on, but it doesn't auto switch.
NOw that makes sense. My shearwater highlights / flags me of the next best gas per what I have active. I could not imagine anything that auto swaps.

As a general rule: on a computer do not set ON any gas you don't carry or you don't plan to use in that dive. There's no reason to do otherwise (especially because you can set and change their state during the dive in case of a emergency or unplanned mix usage).

Perhaps just to stir the pot a bit. In rec diving it would probably only be noticed,,,, if at all,,,,, when you use air and have nitrox turned on. I will assume that nitrox wold be the better gas if given the option. Still the best practice is to follow the guidence you posted. turn on only gasses you will use.

I could not imagine anything that auto swaps.
Cochran

Is this cochran computer a computer designed for rec divers or tech divers. or a tech computer with a rec mode capability like shearwater is. As a rec diver goes I think auto change is a bad thing. as a tech diver goes who is experienced in the computer use can work well with it doing it and would be of benefit to them, so long as they do physically switch. If cochran has a pure rec computer do they auto switch? It would seem to me that any gas switching would be a tech world event. That does not however stop rec divers from entering deco and not know it. I cant say that I have ever been in deco on a rec dive so I dont know what my puter does. but I have had multiple gasses turned on and have never been flagged to change air to nitrox of the reverse. I have always on a trimix dive been flagged when to shift to deco gas. Still for teh rec minded Rec diver auto switching could be big problems. I would hope that if cochran does this it does it when is a tech diving mode and not in a rec mode.

All this being asked frm the rec perspective since this is I think a rec thread and not a tech area thread.

Back
Top Bottom