Service kit for updated (s-wing) SP G250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Edit: I was wondering if there's an OEM service kit that works for Scubapro G250s that have been updated to the s-wing poppet. The G250HP and G250V parts lists contain a different part number for the orifice o-ring, and I think there was one or two other slight differences. The best solution I came up with, besides ordering from VDH, is to get a G250 kit and buy the additional s-wing poppet o-rings separately. That is, unless someone has experience otherwise - maybe there are extra o-rings in an S600 kit or something?

@Aloha Joe

First, you are probably better off posting in the repair your own gear section of DIY.

Second, I really don't understand what you are asking. Most G-250s came with an S-Wing poppet. Only the oldest (and not serviced) would have the old style poppet. The first S-wings had only one o-ring and latter versions have 2. They are a weird size, 1mm CS x 2.2 mm ID, according to an annotated diagram I have.

Third, A G-250 HP is a different animal than a G-250 or G-250 V. A G-250 HP is more like a G-500 / early S-600 than a G-250. As far as different part numbers go, remember the G-250 HP is around 20 years old it could be possible that the SP changed the part number due to different materials or maybe they just changed it for the sake of change. My understanding is that the after the change to the 2 o-ring S-Wing there are no further changes.

Fourth, I am not the most experienced person on the board for this. The people you need to talk to are: @halocline , @couv, @buddhasummer, @rsingler, among others. Hopefully they will chime in and give you a better answer.

Hi @Aloha Joe ,

@ams511 pretty much answered your question as I understand it. If you have an old G250 with a non-replaceable seat, the only thing necessary to upgrade* and service it is an s-wing poppet and service kit. However, I don't want to jump to the conclusion that I fully understand, so tell us what you have (pictures always help) and what you're interested in doing.

*There are other upgrades such as a new style balance chamber and lever, but they are usually not necessary.

Cheers,

Couv

The older service kits came with the s-wing poppet, probably because shops were routinely replacing the old poppet with the s-wing. For many years now, the s-wing poppet has been standard, so current kits only contain the seat and balance chamber o-rings. If you have a G250 with a s-wing poppet, you just need the standard kit.

But, if you can get parts separately, you might also consider getting a new spring. Regarding the orifice o-ring, I have found that a 902 o-ring works best 99% of the time. I haven't bought a G250 service kit in probably 10 years; I buy o-rings from one of the o-ring vendors, OEM seats (a few bucks each) and I keep a few springs around. Changing those can really make the reg tune better.

Thanks guys. Sorry about the confusion. I have an older style G250 that I upgraded to s-wing poppet. I was wondering if there is an OEM service kit that would have everything needed for overhaul. I don’t recall seeing a schematic of my exact configuration.

The older service kits came with the s-wing poppet, probably because shops were routinely replacing the old poppet with the s-wing. For many years now, the s-wing poppet has been standard, so current kits only contain the seat and balance chamber o-rings. If you have a G250 with a s-wing poppet, you just need the standard kit.

But, if you can get parts separately, you might also consider getting a new spring. Regarding the orifice o-ring, I have found that a 902 o-ring works best 99% of the time. I haven't bought a G250 service kit in probably 10 years; I buy o-rings from one of the o-ring vendors, OEM seats (a few bucks each) and I keep a few springs around. Changing those can really make the reg tune better.

On the annotated diagram I have it lists a -10 for the orifice o-ring. I remember an awap post somewhere talking about the 902. Are my diagrams out of date?

On the annotated diagram I have it lists a -10 for the orifice o-ring. I remember an awap post somewhere talking about the 902. Are my diagrams out of date?
No, but the -902 is actually a better fit. See why we call AWAP "The Master?" God, I miss that guy. Anyway, if you use a -010 it should be a lower durometer i.e. 70/75

FWIW SP shows the 01-050-132 seals have different dimensions on different charts;
e.g. 6.07mm X 1.78mm on one chart, and 6.0mm X 1.8mm on a different chart. A clear example of (to SP anyway) size does not matter too much. :)

Back
Top Bottom