Feeling discouraged after my first pool dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my first pool dive for my open water cert (PADI) today. While the instructors were all great and encouraging, I couldnt help but feel like I couldnt get buoyancy right. Although I was able to do some skills, I felt distracted by being unable to control myself!

My weights were checked and rechecked. I couldnt get my kicking right. To top it off, i had problems carrying my gear and my poor buddy’s gear. I am so exhausted that I hope I can do this tomorrow.

I should note, Im in my 40s and everyone in class were teens or very young adults. I’ve been so excited for this, but now Im afraid of how I will be (carrying my weights and gear AND buoyancy AND keeping up with the kids) during my open water dives.

We have our second pool dive tomorrow. Any tips? Is it typical to ask for more pool practice before the ocean dives?

Thank you.
Dont feel bad. The first step to getting good at something is to be willing to be bad at it when you start. Keep at it and you'll get better!

I would just try to do my best. If that helps you can take as much time as you want to do a skill: if you need to you can spend a few seconds to fix your position before to resume doing the skill.

For kicking, you do not have to have a powerful kick for your first certification: you can always try to improve during you later dives ?

I think it is great that you are thinking about improving already rather than just wanting to have the certification card. But it also looks like that you are too harsh with yourself :)

It’s great that you’re self assessing already. But, like the other posters above have said, it’ll take time. I just checked my log and when I finially felt like my bouyancy was ‘dialed in’ I had 7 hours UW (this didn’t include pool time getting my cert). Keep at it, don’t get frustrated, and you’ll sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom