Questions - US Divers Steel 72s w/Original Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmart921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last week, I came across a set of vintage US Divers Double Steel 72s being sold locally, with the original center outlet US Divers manifold / J valve and original tank bands. Vintage gear, and tanks in general are still a little bit foreign to me as I only own a couple tanks (very recently purchased), so I’m not nearly as familiar with the process of owning tanks as those on ScubaBoard who have been diving for a long time. That said, the price was right so I thought I’d give them a shot.

The tanks are currently at my LDS for VIP / Hydro. I realize there’s a number of threads on 72s here, and I’ve read through a lot of them, but I have several questions about these particular tanks.

1. The main thing I’m really concerned with is tank linings. The inspector I spoke to at the shop said that there’s a chance that the inside of the tanks could be lined, and if they are then he would have to fail them on the spot. However, I read through this thread, and some of the comments seem to indicate that the linings can be tumbled out, or even that it’s not an issue as long as the lining is clearly smooth and has not been compromised. If he does find a lining, I asked him to return the tanks (uncondemned) so I have the option of tumbling them somewhere. Where would one go to get the tanks tumbled, if required? I’m located in Norfolk, Virginia.

2. I would like to hopefully reuse the original manifold and dive them as old-school doubles with my Kraken DH. However, I wonder about the J valve assembly. Can I just dive them normally with the J valve in the down position, assuming it’s still in good shape? If it needs repair, where would one acquire parts? Or can I just replace the J valve entirely with whatever is on the left tank currently (basically just an elbow with a burst disc, right? I'm not familiar with these.)?

3. Also, I will of course need new tank bands if I am to dive them with the vintage manifold. Does anyone know where I might find 6.9” bands that will work with the existing manifold? I measured the center-to-center distance to be 8 1/8”. None of the options mentioned in older threads regarding double 72s seem to be available any more.

Any input would be appreciated!

Steel 72s Front.jpg

Steel 72s Back.jpg

Detail.jpg

You are certainly verbose.... and post nothing of importance
It appears from view #2 your units were produced in 1973

The 1973 US Divers Catalog list them as follows
part # D 0633 Yellow Tuff-Koate …$259.99

Note external plastic coating - Yellow Tuff-Koate- no mention of the units having internal coating

You may dove with the J handle up for a reserve or down which creates a no reserve
anything your dear heart desires

Tank band are original aka vintage in good condition- why change ?
SDM

You are certainly verbose.... and post nothing of importance

Ouch... verbose and not of importance... could describe many threads here I guess. :wink:

[QUOTE="Sam Miller III, post: 8705634, member: 8985”]Tank band are original aka vintage in good condition- why change ?
SDM[/QUOTE]

Wasn’t sure if these would mount to a modern backplate.

Even if they have a coating inside that does NOT require that they be condemned and make it absolutely plain he is NOT to in any way mark them as condemned. A dive shop does not have that authority, only a hydro facility can. He can refuse to vis them if he likes. What most don't understand is a VIS is not a legal requirement but rather an agreement between dive shops to require it. While pretty much all dive shops will refuse to fill them without a vis, it is still not a legal requirement. The mere presence of the coating does not in any way stop them from being vis'd.

As long as the valves are in good shape, there is no reason not to dive them as is. You can just dive them with the J valve down since you will have a SPG on an AK ....or you can use the J valve as intended with the AK. I would not remove or defeat them, you never know when you may want to dive an old school reg and need it. Valve parts can be found.

You can go a couple of ways for band/backpacks. Alan makes reproduction old school harnesses that work very well. A&D Adventures Products or you hunt around (ebay or ask on the vintage boards) for one of the backpacks that were made for twin 72's. Voit, Dacor and USD made similar ones. You need to find one of the thin single layer metal or plastic ones, the thicker blown ones are not acceptable for DH reg but are still a good source of the bands.

@herman Appreciate the info. I am learning more and more about VIS and hydro and it does seem to be the consensus that shops really have no right to condemn tanks based on a visual inspection. But I have heard of it happening. I made it clear that I wanted the tanks back unharmed if he doesn’t want to deal with the coating for whatever reason (if they are coated).

As far as the bands go, I always dive with a wing so I was hoping to find a pair of bands that would fit on my backplate. I don’t believe it would be possible to mount a wing on a backpack? Those harnesses look awesome for no BCD diving though.

Well now you know !
Check out
US Divers catalog # D 0829 "deluxe twin pac" 32.95 (1974 prices)
This unit will snap right in to place
Or purcbsed a US Divers Pac--the plastic contour model - they were among the early models and were around for along time..
The best were the Sportsways and the White Stag which were constructed of heavy gauge metal, I would avoid early Voits which were originally fiber glass , later produced by US Diver for Voit of plastic but with a unique attachment procedure.

Dacor back packs #s TR 2 & TR 22 are specifically produced for twin or double tank units. They are two piece construction , very difficult to adjust and should be avoided.
However the Dacor Custom D-pac # CDP is constructed from metal and could possibly be adapted

They all will fit- some will require minor to possibly major modifications to accommodate doubles

SO. Now loaded with all this sage advice Go to you LDS and educate them
SDM

If the cylinders do have an internal lining the only time it becomes an issue is when it degrades. At that point it should be tumbled out because after that one can not tell if under the liner there is an issue.

I had a set of similar cylinder with the exterior coating that were lined. The lining was perfect until the hydro shop screwed up drying the cylinder. That toasted the liner and they looked like hell. At that point they became teaching cylinders for what not to do.

As for a shop condemning a cylinder from a VIP. That should only be done with the owner's permission.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom