THE NACD IS VERY MUCH ALIVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The nacd is very much alive
I have been asked by members of the cave community to come on social media and let the world know that the NACD is very much alive. So here I am saying just that, THE NACD IS VERY MUCH ALIVE. The rumors of the agency's demise are exaggerated. Through out the history of the various cave training agencies there has been rises and falls, the NACD is not exempt from this repeating cycle. I look to fix this.

Does the NACD have concerns? YES. ( instructors, membership, journal, various committees - to name a few)

Lets look at "Replacement C-Cards"issue as an example. Understand that the NACD will not issue a replacement c-card unless it can be proven that the individual making the request has earned the specific level of certification as issued by a then or current active NACD Instructor.

So why is this concept such a problem to understand? Without getting into the fact that a disgruntled individual is holding the archived records demonstrating yet another example of pride, ego and the wanting cause of harm to the NACD - Without access to archived records it is a challenge to re-issue a c-card. yet we have still managed to re-issued a few http://www.nacdmembers.com/nacd-repl...plication.html

Is the NACD sitting back doing nothing? NO.

A rebreather program has been developed, A trimix program is in the works. On-line certification processing is now possible, New positive identification certification cards are issued, these c-cards have the diver's photo. (FYI members were given the opportunity to upgrade their certifications cards to these new c-cards).

The standards and procedures and the bylaws are being reviewed - they need to change. You want to see certain things and grow the NACD- Then volunteer. The NACD is a Florida based organization, While it has never held a hard address, it remains a Florida Headquartered 501c3 non-profit organization. The fact that board members live in other states and even other countries, this is not going to change. Cave diving is not the sole realm of central Florida, it is global community and the NACD will reflect this.

NACD Instructors: The board understands the issues and the events which have led to much confusion. We are addressing this and yes it is our hope that you will come back. You can expect a letter coming your way soon.

As the president of the NACD, my focus is to re-grow the agency, ensure it is membership centric, dedicated to the highest quality of cave diving instruction, exploration, conservation/preservation, safety and community service

You have questions, please feel free to contact any member of the board of directros
Board of Directors / nacdmembers

50 Years, thank you
Rick Murcar

(FYI members were given the opportunity to upgrade their certifications cards to these new c-cards).
Not true.

Sorry, three years ago I tried to get a card replaced for my wife. Her NACD instructor passed away a while ago, but We still had Dive logs and even current instructors and past board members who could vouch for past training. I tried a couple paths and even ran into some rather bitter, angry reactions from some folks.

There were not enough people willing and able to act like adults to help my wife get cards replaced. In contrast, it took less than fifteen minutes to get a PADI rescue diver card replaced from the mid eighties.

We gave up and just followed a cross over route and today it's a non issue for reasons that are non relevant. It will take an awful lot for trust to be restored. Life is just too short.

I wish you all the best in restoring the NACD. I have moved on.

NACD #CA285, 6/94

If one doesn't have access to the historical certification records of the agency, then the one without the records is probably not the agency.

I don't know all the details behind the curious fact that almost all the instructors left the agency at once. But my thought is that if one truly cared about an organization, and saw that their presence and leadership was not in sync with the overwhelming majority of the instructor membership - and caused a mass exodus, I think the only honorable path would be to duck out. In other words, give control of the name / 501c3 back to the holders of the database and instructor membership. And if one is not on the same page as the rest of the organization, why would one even want the name or be associated with it? If one thinks the majority make poor decisions, let them make poor decisions and fail on their own accord - but not by personally splitting the organization - by hijacking the name / 501c3 from the holders of the database and vast majority of instructor members!

If I truly cared about the perpetuity of an organization, that is what I would do ... and then I would join a competing organization that I felt like I had more in common with ...

@GDI any update on the current status of the NACD?

Good question (even more so now that it's a year old. :poke:)

"The nacd is very much alive."

Ain't looking like it from this thread. :shakehead:

Good question (even more so now that it's a year old. :poke:)

"The nacd is very much alive."

Ain't looking like it from this thread. :shakehead:
Another year goes by...

Does anyone know if they ever got their card laminator back?

As a non-cave-diving, outside observer, I think you might need to stick a fork in it. NACD is done.

Back
Top Bottom