Struck by lightning while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score

We've always discussed that if we got caught in a serious thunderstorm offshore that we couldn't outrun we would just anchor and go to the bottom and wait it out. Having a PLB significantly reduces the risk of being lost at sea if the boat went down or the anchor line broke.

But seeing this video presents some questions. I am no expert on being struck by lightning while scuba diving. Is this video more theater than anything else? Seems like they would have been safer in the water than on a metal dock.

They were pretty close to the metal dock, and if that’s what was struck, there’s a lot of electrons that are moving very quickly from the sky to the earth, all in a very short time frame. Resistance is futile.

wow...thanks for sharing.

This is from a few years ago.

Lightning strikes scuba diver off Florida

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. — Lightning struck a diver's air tank as he surfaced off Florida's Atlantic coast, killing him, authorities said.

The 36-year-old man was diving with three others Sunday off a boat near Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. He had surfaced about 30 feet from the boat when lightning struck his tank, said Deerfield Beach Fire Chief Gary Fernaays.

The other divers struggled to get the man back into the boat and radioed for help, Fernaays said. The victim, identified was Stephen Wilson of Deerfield Beach, was rushed to the beach, where a rescue crew gave him CPR. He was later pronounced dead at North Broward Medical Center.

A severe thunderstorm warning had been in effect Sunday for Broward County.

The Broward County Medical Examiner's Office planned an autopsy to determine if Wilson drowned or was electrocuted.

This is from a few years ago.

Lightning strikes scuba diver off Florida

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. — Lightning struck a diver's air tank as he surfaced off Florida's Atlantic coast, killing him, authorities said.

The 36-year-old man was diving with three others Sunday off a boat near Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. He had surfaced about 30 feet from the boat when lightning struck his tank, said Deerfield Beach Fire Chief Gary Fernaays.

The other divers struggled to get the man back into the boat and radioed for help, Fernaays said. The victim, identified was Stephen Wilson of Deerfield Beach, was rushed to the beach, where a rescue crew gave him CPR. He was later pronounced dead at North Broward Medical Center.

A severe thunderstorm warning had been in effect Sunday for Broward County.

The Broward County Medical Examiner's Office planned an autopsy to determine if Wilson drowned or was electrocuted.
:eek: Wow. Talk about bad luck.

yes... i remember the florida tragedy....in florida a squall can move in during the short time it takes to do a dive.

But seeing this video presents some questions. I am no expert on being struck by lightning while scuba diving. Is this video more theater than anything else? Seems like they would have been safer in the water than on a metal dock.

I know more about lightning than I like, and no way in hell I would have got out on that dock. More likely I'd ditch the tank and crawl out somewhere else. Lightning not striking twice in the same place is an old wives tale.

Bob

I'm surprised that the lightning struck the tank rather than the boat.

In the first video, did anyone get hurt or were wet suits just soiled?

The most terrifying dive for me was one where I was caught in a typical FL summer storm.
Solo shore dive , with doubles no less. I was submerged steaming out to the third reef. Just past the second reef, I noticed how dark it got, seas picked up and pissing rain. Then the brilliant flashes. Lots of flashes. There was no way I was going to surface, from here or shore. I doubled back and stayed as deep as I could on by the second reef. I found a bored moray, so I kept myself busy chilling with with him.
Things calmed down after an hour or so and I made my way out.
From what I understand, when it strikes water the energy gets dispersed at the surface. How far down that travels, dunno.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom