Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bump..

If anyone knows what it was like in Monterey Bay today, please share.
My wife and I dove breakwater today... it was flat and a beautiful day but the viz was like 5-8 feet lots of divers this morning.. we arrived at 730 and only the wall had available parking halfway down to bathrooms
The viz down by the aquarium looking from balcony looked incredible though
Ended up being a great navigation experience for both of us though never a bad day when you’re able to get in the water Hope this helps...jake

Dove North Monastery this morning and it had less than 10ft vis and green. Some other divers went to 100ft and said that after 70ft it opened up to 10-15ft vis. Second dive went to Breakwater not expecting much. We swam to the 13 and dropped and had 15ft vis with particulates in the water. As you got near shore vis opened to about 20ft. Spent the last part of the dive in the middle kelp area and it is growing back nicely.

McAbee is closed due to sewage spill again.

McAbee is closed due to sewage spill again.
EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I normally don't like McAbee anyway. Sand gets into everything.

I don't like it either. Only dove there a couple times. You could always do macro and shoot some Dudibranchs. I heard they are on the endangered feces list. (thus ends my poor attempt at humor. Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Last year at McAbee I was setting a float for a class and when I came out the fire department was closing the beach due to a spill. I had to get permission from the supervisor so I could get back n to retrieve my float and line it was a pretty crappy dive.

Viz has still not improved - Pt Lobos on Saturday was 15-20ft at best. Our initial plan was to scooter over to Q Tip on the east side of the cove and then to a pinnacle called Crossroads. This plan was dashed almost as soon as we descended into extremely hazy water; we had already planned on going to Beto's Reef as our backup site.

The last time we went to Beto's, we were diving 32% and had to stay on top of the shelf. This time we had trimix and a stage so were able to explore the deep end of the reef which is around 130ft. Even in the bad viz, this was a great dive with a lot of hydrocoral, elephant ear sponges and assorted anemones.

IMG_8326.jpg
IMG_8329.jpg

IMG_8332.jpg
FullSizeR_01.jpg

-> 70min, 125ft max, 64ft avg, 15-20ft viz, 51F bottom temp

So I have been hearing all these reports from other sources about insane vis at Lovers and Breakwater. Anybody been out this weekend? Becca?

Back
Top Bottom