In Toby this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need a drysuit. I can’t imagine the 7 dives over the past 3 days done wet.
When I started diving up there, drysuits were the exception. Most of the boats I was on were mostly made up of those of us in 7mm farmer johns and jackets. Sometimes did 4 or 5 dives in a day like that.
Times have changed though. Today, wetsuits are rare, and almost all divers are dry.

When I started diving up there, drysuits were the exception. Most of the boats I was on were mostly made up of those of us in 7mm farmer johns and jackets. Sometimes did 4 or 5 dives in a day like that.
Times have changed though. Today, wetsuits are rare, and almost all divers are dry.

From what I saw, the experienced divers are diving dry and the newbies are diving wet. Even the snorkelers were complaining bitterly about the cold. I wonder how many drysuits are ordered after trips to Toby?

Welcome back @Marie13
(to 105 degrees in Chicago)

Be ever grateful for Kalifornians
Bill Barada created the dry suit in 1947
Hugh Bradner @ Willard Bascome discovered the principle of the wet suit in 1950
The Korean war got in the way - It was decared a war time secret
Dr. Bradner marketed first wet suit via Edco in 1953-4

Aren't you happy for Kalifornias ? -- Where it all began
Oh yes, it is currently 64 and sunny with a tops at 72

SDM

From what I saw, the experienced divers are diving dry and the newbies are diving wet. Even the snorkelers were complaining bitterly about the cold. I wonder how many drysuits are ordered after trips to Toby?
lol...very true. my wife and I (relative newbs) are diving toby in August and we'll be in neotek 8/7/6 semi dry suits. Dry suits are definitely in the near future, but just not this soon. We've been told we "definitely won't die" but are likely going to be chilled. apparently most locals dive Toby wet.....once. I'll report back.

What wrecks are you doing? Except for the first and last dives of the trip, my dives were 89ft or deeper.

You’re gonna freeze your arse off on deeper stuff.

I've done many dozens of Tobermory dives in a wetsuit. No problem for a hearty Canadian. (If you're from Florida, YMMV. ) Refreshing and exhilarating. Its only cold below the thermocline and you're not there long. Drysuit comes in handy in September/October/November. Its the surface intervals that cool you down then, in a wetsuit.

I've done many dozens of Tobermory dives in a wetsuit. No problem for a hearty Canadian. (If you're from Florida, YMMV. ) Refreshing and exhilarating. Its only cold below the thermocline and you're not there long. Drysuit comes in handy in September/October/November. Its the surface intervals that cool you down then, in a wetsuit.

I was in the shop and chatting with other divers right off the boats and they were complaining bitterly about the cold. Must be wussy Americans who primarily dive warmer waters. Not just complaining. B**ching big time.

lol...very true. my wife and I (relative newbs) are diving toby in August and we'll be in neotek 8/7/6 semi dry suits. Dry suits are definitely in the near future, but just not this soon. We've been told we "definitely won't die" but are likely going to be chilled. apparently most locals dive Toby wet.....once. I'll report back.

Dave..

We dove one morning last week with DD shop staff...they were both in wet-suits...

Strip your suits down between dives...if you and your wife are wearing T-shirts or rash guards under your semis...change into dry ones for your second dives...

With the exception of the Niagara II...the other ''deep'' wrecks have warmed up nicely...58/61...degrees F...

You'll both love Tobermory...

Best...

Warren

thanks for the words of encouragement...lol. I work outdoors all year long (construction plumber) exposed to the elements, so I'm not so worried about myself. I run pretty hot, and 10 hrs outside at -30° hasn't yet killed me. Pam (my wife) is an office dweller, and runs cold. it seems prudent she'll be layering up with a 7mm vest on top.

Back
Top Bottom