Mini season, why the bad PR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went from less than 10% of developing to greater than 60% in just a couple of hours.
Brought to you by NOAA. The people who want to tell me about the climate 50 years from now, but can't tell me the weather 48 hours in advance.
storm 4 19.png

two_atl_5d0.png

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 PM EDT Mon Jul 22 2019

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Tropical
Depression Three, located near the northwestern Bahamas.

Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.

&&
Public Advisories on Tropical Depression Three are issued under WMO
header WTNT33 KNHC and under AWIPS header MIATCPAT3.
Forecast/Advisories on Tropical Depression Three are issued under
WMO header WTNT23 KNHC and under AWIPS header MIATCMAT3.

$$
Forecaster Cangialosi
NNNN

I agree, I would be more worried about meeting the daily bug quota!
I'm diving Jupiter both days. NOAA's main wave model database wouldn't lock on for Monday evening's run (ie 10ft waves right next to 1ft wave data blocks) so it's trash. This morning's run isn't bad, but the data blocks are still too far apart (1ft next to 5ft blocks). This is a known problem with tropical storm data from all the past years.

In Jupiter I think we're looking at easy 2-4 rollers on Wednesday and 1-3 rollers on Thursday. The bigger issue is that this is all ground swell movement that will be scrubbing the reefs for 2 straight days. I'm expecting crud but doable bottom viz of 20-30 feet which will make it tough to see farther side to side when we want to jump to holes if we see lots of fish activity. So we just go 'old school' and read the bottom reef structure patterns (like barrel sponges) and try to pick up a good line to work. If it doesn't produce, start following the fish side to side and pick a new line to follow. But it's the ocean and anything can happen, that's why I'm bringing an extra 7mm full wetsuit incase of an upwhelling just to be safe. I think the Keys are going to have the best conditions since the storm wave action missed them.

Post up your catch pictures and be safe out there !!

The bigger issue is that this is all ground swell movement that will be scrubbing the reefs for 2 straight days

Its going to be a fun ride for sure so hang on and grab the limit!....I wont be able to catch any bugs until regular season opens so that will leave a few more out there

I'm going to give it a try tonight ...beach dive in LBTS...that's right Lobster fest starts tonight....good luck all.

I was planning on diving Blue Heron Bridge tomorrow (Wednesday). Has anyone been there during mini-season? I was wondering if the park might be shut down by the County if Phil Foster Park completely fills up with boat trailers and trucks. I don't know how busy mini-season is in West Palm Beach.

that's a good question...I'm not sure if you can take lobster since they changed the critter rule....last time i dove there the lobster were all over the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom