Securely Attaching Weights To Shoulder Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK1992

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on how to securely attach weights to 2" shoulder webbing on a BP/W BCD. Already have weight pockets on the backplate itself, but when I'm diving with 2lbs there isn't much else to do except move it further up.

Any ideas?

Might want to add that I typically use weights from the operator I'm diving with, so it'll have to be a temporary solution with the typical double slotted weights.

One choice for mounting weights high up tends to be on the tank strap via a pouch.

A second idea that’s mentioned is to get an ankle weight (band/strap) and put that around the top of the tank/below the valve and 1st stage.

Another option...get a single hard weight (2” webbing holes) or weight pouch and mount that to your chest webbing.

I routinely dive with a steel plate and 2-4 lbs of added weight. I just put the weight in my waist pouches (1-2 lbs per side) and shift the tank up a bit (in the straps) if I need to adjust balance/trim.

One choice for mounting weights high up tends to be on the tank strap via a pouch.

A second idea that’s mentioned is to get an ankle weight (band/strap) and put that around the top of the tank/below the valve and 1st stage.

Another option...get a single hard weight (2” webbing holes) or weight pouch and mount that to your chest webbing.

The pockets I have on the backplate and the tank band are similarly high. I've tried that with no appreciable difference.

Any suggestions on how to stop a weight pouch from sliding on the chest webbing?

The pockets I have on the backplate and the tank band are similarly high. I've tried that with no appreciable difference.

Any suggestions on how to stop a weight pouch from sliding on the chest webbing?

Put one of these on both side of the pouch. It’ll lock the pouch in place.

DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide | Dive Gear Express®

In the meantime (if you’re diving before you can get ahold of those)...get a couple zip ties and cinch them down across the strap and webbing for pouch to keep it from moving.

That’s the nice thing about the 2” BP/W webbing...the setup is modular/customizable. On the waist strap ...I’ve got a storage pouch, flashlight pouch, and a knife sheath.

There are a few ways.......
A standard weight pouch, but add a grommet to secure it better
Use a xdeep sidemount weight pouch, much better
Use a loop of bungee, the chairman (Pete) posted pictures awhile back. Although not quite as secure, it’s fast, allows movement and is cheap.

Several years ago, I was at a hardware store and they had cell phone holders on clearance. They had a sturdy belt clip with a little lip to keep it from coming off a belt easily, elastic sides that squeeze the weight, and a Velcro strap to hold the weight in. They were less than $5 each so I bought several. They fit a 2 or 3 pound weight perfectly.

I use them on my tank straps for trim weight and have loaned the rest out to divers that needed a couple of pounds quickly....they were never returned.

I have also used small utility pockets you can find on Amazon that either have belt clips or snaps to go around a belt for more weight when diving cold. You may have to melt a hole or install a grommet for drainage on those.

There are lots of small pockets out there once you get beyond the "scuba shop" realm. Much cheaper too.

Good luck,
Jay

Thank you all! Pretty good suggestions!

I had mine tied between the D-rings: DGX Trim Weight Pocket (each) | Dive Gear Express® with extra grommets punched in in the corners.
Dep. on where you want them, you might add a slider instead and tie off to that.

Note that they can get in the way of the stuff clipped to the D-rings. That's why putting htem on top camband is the better option.

Back
Top Bottom