Regulator filter filled with salt!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo.Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I bought a new Cressi MC9 and tested it on the bench and pool before using it.

Coming out of my first dive with it and while changing tanks on the boat, I noticed that my filter was all filled with salt.

The regulator was air tight, I'm not sure where the salt could have got in from.

I unfortunately don't have any pictures for the tank or for how much salt it had on it when I first disassembled it. The pictures show much less salt and I cleaned some of it before my second dive.

I didn't notice as much salt after my second dive as I saw after my first which I think is good news.

Would anyone know how I could get the salt there and any recommendations for service? I live is Saudi Arabia so I don't have a Cressi dealer near me and their email response is too slow. I'm worried the salt will start eating into my regulator.
IMG-20190721-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0005.jpg

Looking at your pictures I'm not seeing that your filter is "full of salt". I do see some salt particles outside the outer lip of the 1st stage. The texture of the filter appears to me to be the normal texture of the filter. I have attached a photograph of my MC9 for reference. (and it has never been in salt water)

For the other salt particles how do you remove your 1st stage from the tank? When I remove mine I put a dry thumb immediately over the filter and then blow off the dust cover to make sure there is no water on it, especially in the recessed part that goes over the filter and then tighten the dust cover. If moving to another tank I simply keep my clean dry thumb over the filter until I slip it over the post of the next tank.
thumbnail_IMG_0513.jpg

you can remove the filter, wash it in a solution of warm distilled water + 10% of white vinegar, and see the difference ( before/after)Take a look while the filter is off the regulator, to see if you have some rust inside the HP inlet.

When were those photos taken ? Shortly after your second dive, or later on when salt water has dried up?
I am struck by the fact that whatever that debris is, it is both on the sealing surface of the inlet and on some surrounding areas where water should have washed it off. I have to start with wondering if there is an opportunity for better post dive rinsing and care.

Also very difficult from the photo to really tell what that is, or how much is or isn’t in the filter. Aside from salt, sand is the next possibility on my list, followed by aluminum oxide. (Or a combination?)

Even though you don’t have a Cressi dealer handy, you probably have other resources with enough experience around to give you their opinion of what the real issue is. Boat crew or dive guides? A non Cressi shop? Other experienced divers?

That appears to me to be aluminum oxide sludge. My guess is that you were diving with an aluminum cylinder that has water in it. When you were inverted in the water it flowed into the valve and your regulator.

I would remove the filter and see what the other side looks like as well as the inlet to the reg. If the inlet is mucked up then the reg should be serviced.

Thanks all for your suggestions and explaination.

I kept the regulator attached to the first tank until just before my second dive so it'll be dry when I move it.

The pictures have been taken after reaching home from my second dive and calling Cressi USA as they asked for pictures. I didn't wash it on the boat as I didn't know what wash wrong with it and was worryied at first. However seeing how lazy Cressi is, I decided to proceed with washing, rinsing and hanging it to dry and then took it to a local dive shop to have a look at what's inside.

I don't have pictures for it after it has been rinsed. I'll let you know once I get it back from the dive shop. It shouldn't be too long.

I received my reglator back today. They only cleaned it from the inside and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom