Current Status of Fill Station Owned/Operated by Stathis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now with extended BT, the diver is usually limited by available gas and comes up with BT remaining, hence the nitrogen load is LESS than maximum.

He can't use all the extra bottom time, so he ends with less nitrogen on a longer dive.

I see lots of people run out of BT on air. Not on nitrox.

Weird... with a RMV of 0.4 cu ft/min, using 32% nitrox in a regular ol' alum 80, starting pressure of 3000 psi, dive to 100 feet... the NDL would be 30 minutes (from the PADI table; most computers will give something similar) a diver would use 48 cu ft of gas, which means they would have 1200 psi when their remaining bottom time hits zero.

My experience has been that it's perfectly possible to use "all the extra bottom time" while on nitrox. Just a matter of planning the dive.

And further what is the cost of an air fill and nitrox fill at the Stathis station?
Less than some people on this board would have you believe.

You've been bent before even tho your Oceanic computer was ok, at least not in the red? I'm glad you recovered well, but who knows what caused that. It's fine if you chose to use the computer tool in a more conservative manner. Your call.

I got bent when it was in the yellow (caution zone). My previous 4 dive profiles were shallow, deep, shallow, deep, and too much bottom time; it caught up with me. Now to be on the safe side my personal limit is 7 of the 9 gradations in the safe zone. If I reach the max in the safe zone, I stop diving for the day. And i may still have twinges of DCS.

My dive instructor mentioned getting a more conservative computer. I opted to use this one more conservatively, and it's worked out.

Now to be on the safe side my personal limit is 7 of the 9 gradations in the safe zone.
Well, Oceanic has sold different computers, and I don't know yours. My old Versa Pro has gradients of green, yellow, and red - so maybe they are similar, or maybe not. I've always tried to use a long enough Safety Stop to get back into the green, along with slow ascents, deep stops on deeper dives, and always floating effortlessly on the surface for at least the first minute. In my more aggressive diving days when I got into deco at times, I never could get to green - at most, the least of yellow, one gradient away.

I'm just discussing comparisons. It's good that you know your computer and have your program for staying safe.

If I reach the max in the safe zone, I stop diving for the day. And i may still have twinges of DCS.
Twinges would be scary if I'd been bent before. You're probably twice as good on a tank as I, and you may want to consider further precautions. Take care.

Less than some people on this board would have you believe.
What, there's a conspiracy to obfuscate the price of a tank fill on Cozumel perpetrated by posters on ScubaBoard?

What, there's a conspiracy to obfuscate the price of a tank fill on Cozumel perpetrated by posters on ScubaBoard?
None dare call it conspiracy.

Maybe you should look at tables or what’s even better, dive two computers, one set to air and other set to say 32 - see the nonsense.........

Sure, you can bail and go shallow to still get some time in but I prefer long distinguished dives.

If you're diving nitrox to nitrox limits to extend NDL, then you're not doing anything differently than diving air on air limits. People get bent on nitrox frequently.

If you're diving nitrox to nitrox limits to extend NDL, then you're not doing anything differently than diving air on air limits. People get bent on nitrox frequently.

But only if you use ALL the extra bottom time provided by nitrox.

Say you take two dives same depth:

1. On air for 60 minutes and surface with 0 minutes BT remaining, or

2. On nitrox for 90 minutes and surface with 20 minutes BT remaining.

Which dive has lesser nitrogen load? The second with a longer dive AND more BT remaining, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom