funny air smell / taste

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 of the worst things you can do to a compressor is not run it for months and get it real hot . running every few months is self evident , the second buy a laser heat gauge , people who have taken a fill station operator course know what I mean . if you stay ontop of what to do your compressor will last for years

thanks for all the comments..
found out that the smell comes from the filter when it gets moisture in it, we've had very high humidity here lately..
part of the filter is made up of small beads and its the beads that smell when they get wet..
the filter was removed and the rubbery stale odour was very noticeable..
the filter was repacked with new materials, the humidity is back down to normal, so the compressor is back in business, so to speak..
maybe the beads release the smell to indicate that moisture is in the filter, like the rotten egg smell in natural gas, used as a warning that something is not right ???
my tanks have been emptied, inside cleaned to remove residual smell, will put some air back in them today and hopefully go diving tomorrow..
its been an interesting learning experience for me..
and an lazer beam thermometer/heat gauge will be purchased to monitor the working temp of the compressor..

I might recommend more attention (and frequency) with dumping the water separator. For my compressor, I am dumping it about every 10-15 minutes as it is a manual and a small separator.

I also utilize a moisture indicator, installed on the downstream port of my water separation unit(s). Gives a peace of mind I am doing it right.

My last analysis was 20.3 ppm and -67.2 F dew point for H2O with samples taken pumping air under very humid conditions.

YMMV

the manufacturer usually recommends 15 minute dump interval, the compressor has now been set to a 10 minute interval..
any less than 10 minutes and the dump would be to dry and add extra wear and tear on the parts..
i think the problem comes down to trying to fill tanks in the very high humidity conditions we were having..
knowing this more attention will be paid to humidity levels and that will dictate when the compressor is run...
i'll pass on the downstream moisture meter idea... thanks

The cute little beads soak up the water. The activated charcoal removes the odors and anything else that is unhealthy, thats why the army still uses activated charcoal in their gas masks.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom