Current Conditions Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, vis is when an object disappears from vision completely. This is necessary to develop an objective reading of water clarity. Details of the object being observed are often dependent on factors other water clarity such as eye sight etc.

Any details on at what depth the thermocline is and what the upper temperature is? Daughter is going for ow check out dives and info could be helpful.

Any details on at what depth the thermocline is and what the upper temperature is? Daughter is going for ow check out dives and info could be helpful.

I can let you know by the end of today. Just got here.

The platform is @ 28' (so I was told), the thermocline is right below it. Water on top was ~ 82F, getting colder as we went down. Below thermocline was ~ 52F. Honestly as hot as it was yesterday dipping in and out of the thermocline was a relief. If I had unlimited resources I would have chosen to dive in a 5mm, and I get cold easy. The 1st dive I did with gloves, after that I did not and I didn't tuck the hood in and was fine.

We dove to 60'+ on the 1st dive and it was 52F.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. Very helpful. I don't think she will mind 82 degree water with a short excursion down to the bus.

Thank you. Very helpful. I don't think she will mind 82 degree water with a short excursion down to the bus.

The bus is at ~ 55', so I would wear gloves on that dive. If everything else was on the platform I would say she would be fine without. We were in 7mm farmer john / jane.

According to my computer, the Temp at the Bus was 54 deg this past Sunday.

I was happy at depth with my 3mm gloves. From experience, below the 1st thermocline, a hood is a must!

According to my computer, the Temp at the Bus was 54 deg this past Sunday.

I was happy at depth with my 3mm gloves. From experience, below the 1st thermocline, a hood is a must!

No hood? No thanks! I borrowed one once because I forgot mine and the one that was lent had tears along the forehead. It was like putting an ice block there. It was a good 5 min to get acclimated to it, and that was 90% of a hood. No hood, that's ballsy:wink:

We were doing rescue at the end of last summer, working on the surface drills, so light suits and no hoods so we didn't overheat in the sun.
One of the group lost a snorkel, so we all lined up to drop down and find it. Dropped through the thermocline and Wham - instant brain freeze. We toughed it out and recovered it. The funny part was that the snorkel's owner was the only one to bail out of the search as soon as he hit the thermocline.

We were doing rescue at the end of last summer, working on the surface drills, so light suits and no hoods so we didn't overheat in the sun.
One of the group lost a snorkel, so we all lined up to drop down and find it. Dropped through the thermocline and Wham - instant brain freeze. We toughed it out and recovered it. The funny part was that the snorkel's owner was the only one to bail out of the search as soon as he hit the thermocline.

That person might want to find a new hobby....probably won't hear the end of that one for a while, lol!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom