Any advice for diving with a steel 40 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using a steel 40 tank for some very shallow (15ft max depth) photo dives beneath a boat.

I usually dive with a steel 100 but for this project I'll be descending & ascending quite often & will need to get in and out of boat regularly (hence my reasons for wanting to reduce weight with a smaller tank)

Each dive won't be more than about 2 minutes.

I realize I'll lose about 20lbs in tank weight, but will have to add about 5lbs of weight due to the difference buoyancy of the steel 40 tank.

Is there any other advice you can give me for using a smaller tank?

Mate I'm not sure if I'm feeling funny or smart, but if it's within your spectrum
Adjust your tank band

and I used to enjoy watching Hooker, loved the Time Tunnel, I was too young for Gidget
and your singing

You're a great looking guy.

I'll give you one advice. Enjoy the dive and don't worry about it. It should all be an adventure in fun.

I regularly dive 50 cf & 27 cf steel tanks and a 30 cf aluminum. At 72 and diving in clod, low vis woater with not much to look at but mud and rocks I dive more to practice than to see anything. I've never had a problem.

When diving for eurasian milfoil remediation with an 80 cf aluminum we were always yo-yoing as we rolled the mats and brought them up, then back down to roll the next. No worries about the up and down as long as you remember that lung expansion is greatest near the surface and keep breathing.

Two tips - 1. inflate your BC orally and 2. use your snorkel on the surface. Tanks last a lot longer that way.

I'm thinking about using a steel 40 tank for some very shallow (15ft max depth) photo dives beneath a boat.

<snip>

Each dive won't be more than about 2 minutes.

Sam makes a good point. Freediving is probably the best option for this task. It will be much easier to slip in and out of the water, gear up, and be more stealth when approaching critters.

If you are staying directly under the boat I would suggest a 50' hose between your 1st and 2nd stages. Leave the tank on the boat and don't bother buying a new tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom