Current Status of Fill Station Owned/Operated by Stathis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My computer is an Oceanic and I have to dive more conservatively than it says.

My computer is an Oceanic and I have to dive more conservatively than it says.
A diver can chose to dive more conservatively, but whey do you think you have to?

A diver can chose to dive more conservatively, but whey do you think you have to?

When I dive past my cutoff (even though the computer sez I'm still okay) I get bent.

...Mine may be older than your knowledge, as I'm pretty sure mine don't...
You're likely correct. I went back to my Pro Plus 2, available 1999, runs DSAT without a conservative factor. My VT3, available 2006, runs only DSAT and has a conservative factor. My Geo 2, available 2009, runs both DSAT and PZ+ and has a conservative factor for each.

@DandyDon, which Oceanic computer(s) do you dive?

When I dive past my cutoff (even though the computer sez I'm still okay) I get bent.
You've been bent before even tho your Oceanic computer was ok, at least not in the red? I'm glad you recovered well, but who knows what caused that. It's fine if you chose to use the computer tool in a more conservative manner. Your call.

If DD tried to give me a "safety" lesson after a dive I'd tell him to piss up a rope. Exactly who do you think you are?
If I accept a buddy partnership, I expect us both to take the responsibilities seriously. I'd really rather not, especially with someone with your attitude, as my pony bottle never throws defensive hissy fits.

I do not think that I know more about diving theory than the training agencies or DAN, not do I think that Suunto does, so I feel perfectly safe diving Oceanics - which give similar results as Padi dive tables. Suuntos are a marketing gimmick based on so called "safer diving" thru penalizing bottom time erroneously - no science or medical theory involved. They probably even use three word chants at rallies, but I am guessing there.

So you are saying they are in fact safer, but nobody needs to be that safe?
and diving Padi tables or Oceanic computers do nothing dangerous. Many buy the marketing claims tho, like you.

But they don't make you safer....

I thought you told me you dove nitrox with computer set on air based on the false theory of it being safer. Now I understand differently: You dive your wrist computer and often on nitrox to get longer bottom times, and that's what nitrox is for. Your second computer is worthless since you don't know how to set it.

First, sure it safer to have less nitrogen loading. It would however be bad not to monitor O2 load. So ACTUALLY if I dove 32% and a used a air computer for BT and a 36% computer for the O2 load I would be safer on both sides. But that's just crazy. As it is, my second computer saves me on O2....

Yeah, your demonstrated buddy protocols are lacking. When my home dive bud traveled with me, I had a standing promise to his mom to bring him home alive, and I had an aggressive attitude about real buddy diving and taking care of each other. We had more than one ass chewing debriefings. Then she & I both outlived him when his bypass surgery went bad.

I got like 4 nieces and nephews. Its not like he was my ONLY one....

And since they don't quit working if you ignore them you can just save up all your decompression and do it the week after vacation.

See now that's the kind fresh new ideas we get everytime this thread comes up.

If DD tried to give me a "safety" lesson after a dive I'd tell him to piss up a rope. Exactly who do you think you are?

Oh, @DandyDon's Ok. He is a really a good guy at heart. Seriously. And opinionated. But I would never complain about that....

If I accept a buddy partnership, I expect us both to take the responsibilities seriously. I'd really rather not, especially with someone with your attitude, as my pony bottle never throws defensive hissy fits.

I actually got a pony because of @DandyDon. On the other hand I like gear. More is better. Still shocked a guy with a pony uses an Oceanic... but I digress...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom