Atomic Cobalt 2 Upgrade...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chip Collins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did my research on the Oceanic Pro Plus X and finally pulled the trigger on it before the sale price of $999 was gone. I got an email yesterday from Scuba.com saying that the Pro Plus was back ordered past 30 day so they were upgrading me to the Atomic Cobalt 2 for the price I paid for the Pro Plus.
I'm new to diving and I have heard nothing about the Atomic Cobalt 2 from any divers. All I know is that the Atomic Cobalt 2 was $1,449.95, on sale for $1,199.95, and I got it for $999. Keep in mind all I wanted was a console computer for a backup to my Quad Air and I like the fact that the Pro Plus would transfer my info to an app.
Any insight is appreciated.

I dive the Cobalt II personally and I like it a lot. All the info you need during the dive is on one screen and in color so it's easy to see. Can be a little daunting until you get used to it because there's a lot of info. But it works well. And the digital compass is nice because it had heading lock, plus reciprocal and 90 degree headings too. So it's nice for navigation. Easy to change gases if you want to dive something other than air or the standard EAN mixes, which are presets in the menu. Can set alarms for different things like NDL limits, gas changes, etc. It's pretty user friendly and comes with everything you need to not only recharge but also connect to your PC to download your dives. Its not Bluetooth like the PPX so that's a downfall but barring that I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I like, too, that it can show you a dive profile for your entire dive and can play it back so you can see anything you need at any point during the dive. I'll post a pic of the post-dive info screen so you can see what all it shows you.

48314959087_bb55d33c59_b.jpg

As compared to the PPX, I can't really say how it stacks up. I can compare it to the PP3 since I do have one of those as well. My wife dives it, though, becuase she didn't like the smaller digits and all the info available on one screen on the Cobalt II. What I do like about the PP3 is that it allows you to dive a few different algorithms from really conservative to pretty liberal. I think the Cobalt I has that capability too, but not like the PP3/PPX. THe thing I don't like about the Oceanics, though, is that you have to buy everything separately. Quick disconnect, download cable, etc.....all stuff you have to buy on top of paying for the computer itself.

Hope this info helps. Again, I don't think you'll be disappointed by any means.

I dive the Cobalt II personally and I like it a lot. All the info you need during the dive is on one screen and in color so it's easy to see. Can be a little daunting until you get used to it because there's a lot of info. But it works well. And the digital compass is nice because it had heading lock, plus reciprocal and 90 degree headings too. So it's nice for navigation. Easy to change gases if you want to dive something other than air or the standard EAN mixes, which are presets in the menu. Can set alarms for different things like NDL limits, gas changes, etc. It's pretty user friendly and comes with everything you need to not only recharge but also connect to your PC to download your dives. Its not Bluetooth like the PPX so that's a downfall but barring that I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I like, too, that it can show you a dive profile for your entire dive and can play it back so you can see anything you need at any point during the dive. I'll post a pic of the post-dive info screen so you can see what all it shows you.

View attachment 529876

As compared to the PPX, I can't really say how it stacks up. I can compare it to the PP3 since I do have one of those as well. My wife dives it, though, becuase she didn't like the smaller digits and all the info available on one screen on the Cobalt II. What I do like about the PP3 is that it allows you to dive a few different algorithms from really conservative to pretty liberal. I think the Cobalt I has that capability too, but not like the PP3/PPX. THe thing I don't like about the Oceanics, though, is that you have to buy everything separately. Quick disconnect, download cable, etc.....all stuff you have to buy on top of paying for the computer itself.

Hope this info helps. Again, I don't think you'll be disappointed by any means.

Wow! That was a lot of information, thank you. It sounds like not having the bluetooth will be my only issue. That was the main thing I liked about the Pro Plus. Looks like I need to start reading up on it.

Hi @Chip Collins

You've probably already done some research on decompression algorithms. Your Mares Quad Air runs a conservative algorithm, Mares RGBM. It will control your NDL (shortest NDL) over most other dive computers. Oceanic computers run two algorithms, DSAT, which is liberal, and PZ+, which is middle of the road or moderate. The Cobalt runs Atomic RGBM, which is reasonably liberal. Some divers like to have their computers match, others don't care.

Hi @Chip Collins

You've probably already done some research on decompression algorithms. Your Mares Quad Air runs a conservative algorithm, Mares RGBM. It will control your NDL (shortest NDL) over most other dive computers. Oceanic computers run two algorithms, DSAT, which is liberal, and PZ+, which is middle of the road or moderate. The Cobalt runs Atomic RGBM, which is reasonably liberal. Some divers like to have their computers match, others don't care.
I like my Quad Air, I just don't think most people would buy it because it's not small and sleek. I like the idea of having the two different algorithms. It would give me a nice window to stay inside of while diving.

Hmm. If one says you have 10 min to NDL, one says 0, which one will go follow? Which one is your primary?

I like my Quad Air, I just don't think most people would buy it because it's not small and sleek. I like the idea of having the two different algorithms. It would give me a nice window to stay inside of while diving.
The conservative computer will always control the dive unless you are willing to clear deco obligations to avoid being locked out of it. This is generally not a useful strategy

The Cobalt runs Atomic RGBM, which is reasonably liberal.

I have found that the Cobalt has a lot of settings to modify conservatism, which can go a long way to making NDL times closely match other algorithms -- very useful when trying to stay with a buddy or match a backup computer. However, it is biased to a lot of very short deep stops on significant decompression dives. The Cobalt definitely has a much easier to learn, understand, and remember interface than the Oceanic Pros.

IMO, a new diver will be much happier with the Cobalt than the Oceanic Pros.

Well, just to chime in here, we are the original developers of the Cobalt's electronics and firmware/ user interface. I'm often on ScubaBoard and happy to answer questions and offer support.

The Cobalt does have two algorithms in a way- dives shallower than 150' utilize a "folded" version of RGBM, while below 50' the Cobalt transitions to fully iterative bubble calculations. This is essentially transparent to the end user. The algorithm settings are designed to be middle of the road as far as conservatism goes, and there are adjustments you can make for risk level and exertion that will alter the conservatism. As Akimbo says, the Cobalt's settings are oriented towards many short stops for deeper deco dives, which may not match what other computers give. The Cobalt will not "lock out" a diver, no matter what you do, but will display a warning if stops have been violated in the past 24 hours.

The Cobalt will transfer dive data (over USB using the included adapter) to a variety of dive log apps- we are very supportive of third party dive log applications.

Dive log applications that work with the Cobalt I am currently aware of are below. All are free or low cost.
For Windows: Diving Log 6, http://www.divinglog.de/english/home/index.php
SubSurface, an open source, free, multi platform (Mac, Windows, Linux) dive logging package: http://subsurface-divelog.org
MacDive a low cost full featured dive log program that handles many computers, and can also connect to an iOS version: http://www.mac-dive.com
Dive Log DT, another low cost and full featured logging program with multiple computer support and an interface to iOS devices through their free Dive Log application. http://www.moremobilesoftware.com/Dive_Log_Manager.html

I should add that Atomic has a guide to the interface up on their website. It's a bit out of date in that some features have been added, but still gives a good overview of how the Cobalt works: Cobalt Guide: Home

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

-Ron

Well, just to chime in here, we are the original developers of the Cobalt's electronics and firmware/ user interface. I'm often on ScubaBoard and happy to answer questions and offer support.

The Cobalt does have two algorithms in a way- dives shallower than 150' utilize a "folded" version of RGBM, while below 50' the Cobalt transitions to fully iterative bubble calculations. This is essentially transparent to the end user. The algorithm settings are designed to be middle of the road as far as conservatism goes, and there are adjustments you can make for risk level and exertion that will alter the conservatism. As Akimbo says, the Cobalt's settings are oriented towards many short stops for deeper deco dives, which may not match what other computers give. The Cobalt will not "lock out" a diver, no matter what you do, but will display a warning if stops have been violated in the past 24 hours.

The Cobalt will transfer dive data (over USB using the included adapter) to a variety of dive log apps- we are very supportive of third party dive log applications.

Dive log applications that work with the Cobalt I am currently aware of are below. All are free or low cost.
For Windows: Diving Log 6, Diving Log 6.0 - scuba logbook software for diver - dive log, scuba log
SubSurface, an open source, free, multi platform (Mac, Windows, Linux) dive logging package: http://subsurface-divelog.org
MacDive a low cost full featured dive log program that handles many computers, and can also connect to an iOS version: http://www.mac-dive.com
Dive Log DT, another low cost and full featured logging program with multiple computer support and an interface to iOS devices through their free Dive Log application. http://www.moremobilesoftware.com/Dive_Log_Manager.html

I should add that Atomic has a guide to the interface up on their website. It's a bit out of date in that some features have been added, but still gives a good overview of how the Cobalt works: Cobalt Guide: Home

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

-Ron
My Cobalt 2 alarms on the surface when you swap tanks. How do I stop or silence that? I have all alarms set to OFF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom