Diver dies on 60m deep air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has the actual cause of death been established ? --Maybe I missed it but all Ive seen so far is lots of theories.
Outa gas? medical issue?

Using a rented 12 lire air cylinder on a new diver for a 50 MSW air dive sounds like a stunt dive gone wrong. Lucky the twinset pair with her didn’t end up on manslaughter charges.

It would also be interesting to know what if a detailed gas spec analysis was done on the air purity, assuming it wasn’t nitrox.

The centre was also in the papers a month earlier for miss leading customers claiming that the The National Diving and Activity Centre NDAC was an accredited PADI 5 star instructor dive centre. They are not.

Also the same time the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents RoSPA also claimed they misled customers that they were members of this national safety organization. Fortunate for them I guess they also are not. The article below :
Dive centre 'may have potentially misled' over RoSPA membership

Please test your BC and dry suit inflators. You should be looking for a minimum of 140 litres/min. The dry suit inflation rate is harder to test but the BCD inflator couldn’t be easier, simply time how long it takes to inflate the BCD - it will tell you the volume or the lift in Newtons on the label. 1 kg of lift = 1 litre. An 18 litre BCD should inflate in 7-8 secs.

Any research supporting 140/l min as recommended value?

Diving on air is a personal choice, I can pump a twin set and be on a wreck in 2 hours for a total cost of 15 euro,.

Unfortunatly this was a new diver with a rented single cyinder tank, on air and never been that deep before.

MParker on post 6 made an excellent point
I
The BC inflator was extremely slow, delivering only 30 litres/min. I.

Some personal choice.

I am wondering why people behave so irresponsibly. Currently there are various reaserches available who demonstrate that very deep diving on air is not safe. I understand that some people want to be matchos and want to show off, however, in this case you are risking your own life.

I did not find information that this diver went to 60 m with single 12L cylinder, however, to go to such depth I would expect that diver is: 1) Certified trimix diver 2) has up to date and not rusty skills 3) Has appropriate equipment and corrct & sufficient gas (twinset with trimix) and deco gas. 4) has a good health.

It seems that with this Polish diver some of important factors were omitted and this resulted in death. Unfortunately such depth is not very forgiving even small mistakes.

Why all the hubub about gas mix? The article made it sound like a heart attack. Did I misread?

I would be worried about breathing air that feels like breathing pudding at that depth (no matter the type or reg you are using), and hypercapnia.

I had never noticed the increased gas density issue before on deep air dives so I watched out for it on last nights dive. Still didn't notice it even though I was looking for it. St. Lawrence river, 160 feet, occasionally swimming against ~2knot current in full tech gear with 2 stages.

I think, just like almost everything else in diving, it can be an issue for some but not for others. So it is inappropriate to make blanket statements

I had never noticed the increased gas density issue before on deep air dives so I watched out for it on last nights dive. Still didn't notice it even though I was looking for it. St. Lawrence river, 160 feet, occasionally swimming against ~2knot current in full tech gear with 2 stages.

I think, just like almost everything else in diving, it can be an issue for some but not for others. So it is inappropriate to make blanket statements

All divers are affected by gas narcosis, however, divers have different body composition, fitness level. also, some divers are more experienced and have muscle memory which helps in better solving issues deep under water. Accordingly, you might have an impression that you are not affected by narcosis.

All divers are affected by gas narcosis, however, divers have different body composition, fitness level. also, some divers are more experienced and have muscle memory which helps in better solving issues deep under water. Accordingly, you might have an impression that you are not affected by narcosis.

I was not writing about narcosis. My comments were strictly limited to gas density.

Back
Top Bottom