A Weighty Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozJohnno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking at a post I wrote on another thread in which I said that I dive with 4kg on my weight belt when diving doubles and a hefty 13kg on my weight belt when I dive a single (I'm a bit of a floater).

For exposure, I wear a 1 piece 5mm semi-dry

I'm thinking 13kg is waaay too much so am looking to cut down on the weight belt.

I checked the spec sheets and the 12.2l tanks I dive have a buoyancy of -0.75kg when empty

where would be a good place for me to start (weight wise)

Cheerz

Option 1: It's best to start with what you know. 13kg! Do a dive, when you have almost emptied your tank do a weight check. Start by removing half a kg at a time. Until you can no longer submerge.

Option 2: Get in the water with a full tank, fully geared up. Empty all the air from your bc and suit. Make sure the suit is flooded and has no air trapped. Remove weight until you barely sink. Then add 3kg to your belt for the weight of air in the tank that you will use. (single tank)

You don't have to wait to have an almost empty tank. Most people suggest to set it so that the water is even with your eyes at the end of the dive. But what about getting right for the dive in the first place???

Full tank, Empty BC, no weights, normal inflation of your dry suit, floating, arms crossed, legs crossed, breathing normally. Every 25 mm your head is out of the water, add a couple of kGs. Retest until your head is just awash. If you exhale, you should start to descend, if you inhale, you should stop the descent.

if you find you do need 13kg, move the weight off the belt and somewhere else on your rig with a weighted sta, cam band weight pockets, or bolting weights directly onto your plate (steel plate is assumed).

Also, get a mesh bag, put your suit in it and add weights until it sinks. If you dive a traditional bcd then you might need a couple of kg for that.....aluminum tank, couple kg for that....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom