Current Status of Fill Station Owned/Operated by Stathis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive shop I use in Bonaire does not add on an additional charge for Nitrox. In Curacao, a Nitrox tank is 1/2 the price of that in Cozumel. I never felt that I was "cutting corners" and risking inferior product.
I think that they all use O2 from tanks shipped in, then shipped back empty. I wonder if the Dutch have a special deal?

The dive shop I use in Bonaire does not add on an additional charge for Nitrox. In Curacao, a Nitrox tank is 1/2 the price of that in Cozumel. I never felt that I was "cutting corners" and risking inferior product.

That's not what I said.

What something costs in some other market is irrelevant. Nothing is "free" though various costs can be structured so that something can be marketed as no additional charge.

And I was referring to the supplier cutting corners to provide a lower price, not the consumer.

I think that they all use O2 from tanks shipped in, then shipped back empty. I wonder if the Dutch have a special deal?

I'd be surprised if Bonaire is blending from O2 versus using a banked membrane system. That could explain the difference in cost.

That's nonsense.

Maybe you should look at tables or what’s even better, dive two computers, one set to air and other set to say 32 - see the nonsense.........

Sure, you can bail and go shallow to still get some time in but I prefer long distinguished dives.

Maybe you should look at tables or what’s even better, dive two computers, one set to air and other set to say 32 - see the nonsense.........

Sure, you can bail and go shallow to still get some time in but I prefer long distinguished dives.
That would show a significant difference diving NC wrecks or others, but for multi-level reef diving in Coz, not so much. Yeah, I always dived nitrox in NC, on Florida Keys wrecks, on deeper Saint Lawrence wrecks, but I just don't see the need on this island's reefs.

Yeah, the island has several chambers, but it's not from lack of nitrox.

I think the nonsense comment related to the implied connection between using nitrox or getting a chamber ride. I have not seen any evidence that use of nitrox decreases your risk of DCS. Of course, it slows nitrogen loading which allows you to stay down longer before reaching your nitrogen limit but when dived to the limits your loading is the same. Of course, if you use nitrox and dive to air limits then your loading will be reduced but I don't know too many who do that. You would almost need to dive with two computers, one set to air and one set to nitrox.

Based on the volume of tanks consumed daily I always assumed membrane systems where in place (just like a LOB). A quick Google search gets lots of membrane hits in Bonaire...

There is likely some small volume O2 blending in place for higher O2 mixes that a membrane can not produce?

Stathis is using a membrane for nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom