Dive torch for U.K. (poor viz) waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GiantMoray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I’m looking for a new dive torch for then UK and need a bit of advice. I currently have one of these
Amazon.com : Tovatec Compact Torch : Camping Lights And Lanterns : Sports & Outdoors
with 130 lumens it’s a bit puny for diving in poor visibility.

I asked some advice in a previous thread regarding a couple of northern divers lights, but I don’t think that they are particularly well know outside the U.K., so I just want to ask for some more generic advice.

There are a couple of northern diver torches I’ve been looking at, the Varilux Tec 4000 and Varilux 3500, both approx £150

They both have a burn time of 1.5hrs at Max and can be stepped down to reduce brightness and increase burn time.

The 3500 has a brightness of 3500 lumens has a beam angle of 10 degrees and a beam distance of 100m. The 4000 has a brightness of 4000 lumens, a beam angle of 5 degrees and a beam distance of 500m.

My previous torch was bought for me and I’ve never thought through a torch purchase. I don’t really know what I’m looking for other than a bright torch, I’ll be mainly day diving and it’s for U.K. waters which can be very silty/have poor viz.

What kind of brightness and beam angle should I be looking at?

The links to the ND torches are Varilux 3500 Lumen Rechargeable Dive Torch and Varilux TEC 4000 Lumen Rechargeable Dive Torch

They also have a smaller 1000 lumen torch with a beam angle of 5 degrees and allegedly a beam distance of 1000m but that seems unlikely!

Check with @romad119, I believe he has some Lite Monkey torches he may be selling.

-Z

I’d rather have a handheld I think, simpler and I probably don’t need the extra burn time afforded by the external power pack.

I’m really looking for advice as to the kind of brightness and beam angle I need.

Thanks!

Okay, so I’ve been looking at possible other torches to get, I’m also considering the Tektite LS5 (C or D cell battery version?) and the Light For Me - 4XPG. Does anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks

Try Mares EOS 20RZ. It rechargeable torch, 2300 lm with adjustable beam angle.... or one of Big Blue lights. For reasonable price you will get good quality product.

Back
Top Bottom