Scubapro regulator DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, a desire to dive and compare the D series level of cracking effort is what directed me to pick up my first one off ebay (but it was a dissembled box of parts). At the time I was just learning and getting comfortable working on the 156, the little box of D series parts was too much of a puzzle for me. I successfully rebuilt a D350 last year, with inspiration from a thread by aalbert and parts help from rsingler

Got a chance to dive the D350 (cracking at .8) today, paired with AIR1 (cracking at .6"). The 156 has been my favorite primary second stage for about the last 800 dives, it was also used today. I was very pleased with the AIR1, and the D350 was nice as well. Compared to the 156 ( cracking at 1.0"), the other two gave less jaw fatigue with easier breathing effort. The same mouthpiece and hoses where used during the comparison.

I have owned 4 or 5 pilots over the years, both original and converted, but did not have the ability to bring them to diveable condition. All sold, but I found a cheap unconverted pilot in great condition a few days ago. The plan is to rebuild a few more D series to get the process down and then start playing with the AIR1 and pilot possibilities. The idea of using AIR1 parts to convert the pilot was on my mind during the drive home.

As an aside, the rebuilt G260 was used today with .9 cracking effort, and gave my wife no trouble over two dives.

It's always nice to see folks that come to love the D-series!
Air 1 and Pilot parts may be hard to come by, but there are still D-spares out there for the die-hards and those we convert. Hooray!

I can feel the process of growing to love the D series, and really look forward to more dives using them. Thanks again for your help getting my first one ready for use.

It will take time if I let go of my attachment to the 156 and demote it to back up reg set. It is solid and has been a part of so many places and good times. Suppose that speaks for the quality of the 156, to not want to give it up as #1.

A chrome D-400 would look good in the line up....could one of these suspects replace the 156?

20190715_224834.jpg

That middle one is completely obsolete. If you'll send it to me I'll see that it gets disposed of properly.

I spent a good amount of time working on my pilot, including finding decent o-rings for the pilot valve seat. That's the finicky one. I think there's an old thread about it. In the end, I like my converted pilots better for diving than the original valve. They're a little smoother and less trouble. But, it is amazing how much air that pilot valve flows with almost no cracking effort.

Good to know of your experience related to the pilot, doing the conversion feels like a logical choice to make life a bit simpler from the DIY standpoint. If that results in a overall better performance while diving, so much the better. I will revisit old threads here and on VDH when I get into it, and also dig around for reports comparing practical use and performance of converted pilot vs Air1.

With that being said, this pilot does not act like it even needs work right now. Minimal salt build up, passes the vacuum test, cracks at .4" with effortless exhale feeling. I might take it for a few easy dives before taking it apart. And if it turns out to be a dog I will be sure send it to rsingler for disposal...

I'll pair it up with the other old dog I'm restoring right now - another original valve model. @halocline is right - the converted ones are easier to work on, but it sure is fun chasing around that little ball bearing when it falls off the workbench! :D

Good to know of your experience related to the pilot, doing the conversion feels like a logical choice to make life a bit simpler from the DIY standpoint.

I would never convert an original pilot to the center balanced valve. If you want a converted pilot, I will happily trade you one of mine for an original. Or you can look for one that is already converted. You can tell by the cap; the flatter cap on the reg in your photo is an original; the converted ones have a stepped cap that makes room for the valve aspirator.

Original pilots in good condition are rare enough so that it's worth hanging on to them. Here's the thread I was talking about.

Scubapro Pilot

Edit: I see that you mentioned that you already have had a few converted pilots, so you obviously can recognize them. But still, I would not convert an original. If you do, I would definitely buy the original valve parts and diaphragm from you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom