Diver recovered unresponsive - San Carlos Beach, Monterey, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you have this information? Your comment seems out of left field. Is that who really passed on Saturday? This man seemed overweight and older. Not built like a Sheriff's Dept dive team member.
no offense but I would not call 51 years old as "older"

Even tho it's true? Senior discounts start at 50, and it's certainly older than middle aged. I'm well beyond that, and it bugs me a little when strangers on hiking trails ask me if I'm ok, but it's a reasonable concern. I'm just slow, but no one wants to be around if I have a heart attack - and if I did, I'd hate ruining their outing.

The loss of this member of the dive team was sad and horrible for Becca and her students to observe, along with Becca being fully qualified to help with a rescue but ordered to stand down, and I read on one of the news stories that this happened the day after his promotion. We don't know what the indecent trigger was and can only accept it was a sad day for all there as well as all of his friends and loved ones.

As a friend he was incredible. As a dive leader you would have a hard time finding anyone as dedicated to introducing people to our wonderful sport. As far as you people who speculate or doubt his credentials, he was many times more qualified than most . I would put my life in his hands any day.
I think 'Police dive team member', put him in an extra category in everyone's minds. Which makes the unknown of what happened all the more puzzling. We'll have to wait on more concrete word on the dive events. Medical while diving is a risk for many over a certain age. My condolences.

ETA:
So you and your team know, this accidents forum tries to serve as a post incident analysis and lessons to be learned. Though often the dive events do not manage to surface with the diver, so speculation can take hold. No personal disrespect is intended. The discussion ideally will be more if a diver suffered W, what lead to that, can better X help prevent it. Did the diver really have Y? Would Z have helped? Though the result is often just more awareness than new solutions.

We also have a passings forum where people talk about divers lost, Passings, without them being displaced by questions about the colleague and friend lost. I had the privilege of reading some of what was written about Sgt. Lyke on the PCSO's facebook page. He seemed a great person.

I agree, as 51 is younger than me.

I agree, as 51 is younger than me.

I hope those memories fade of the event for you. And hey were both in the same boat as to age, I think based on a prior post of yours sometime were likely both the same year :)

I just wish this gentleman could have had more years ahead of him, id thank him for his public service

I think 'Police dive team member', put him in an extra category in everyone's minds. Which makes the unknown of what happened all the more puzzling. We'll have to wait on more concrete word on the dive events. Medical while diving is a risk for many over a certain age. My condolences.

ETA:
So you and your team know, this accidents forum tries to serve as a post incident analysis and lessons to be learned. Though often the dive events do not manage to surface with the diver, so speculation can take hold. No personal disrespect is intended. The discussion ideally will be more if a diver suffered W, what lead to that, can better X help prevent it. Did the diver really have Y? Would Z have helped? Though the result is often just more awareness than new solutions.

We also have a passings forum where people talk about divers lost, Passings, without them being displaced by questions about the colleague and friend lost. I had the privilege of reading some of what was written about Sgt. Lyke on the PCSO's facebook page. He seemed a great person.

I believe that we all think that with his experience and this particular site for diving that the only likely conclusion was a medical event of some sort. Breakwater aka san carlos beach is a very benign area except when there is heavy kelp and very new divers.

@BikerBecca understand your interest in helping but consider actually finding the body probably would have left a worse and longer lasting impression on you. Helping is great but I don't know how emergency personnel can get those scenes off their minds, so my hat is off to them.

I think this may be two events we are talking about. June 29th (sat) we were diving breakwater and there was a diver brought in at the east beach who was transported via ambulance to the hospital. Someone answered up on facebook that the diver was ok and going to finish his OW class the following weekend.

A couple hours later a diver was found on the bottom and had already died. This diver was a SSI instructor and Deputy Sheriff.

The next weekend there was another accident at breakwater and the individual was taken to the hospital but i can't find any information on this one. Im assuming its a diver but i don't know and don't know the out come.

Back
Top Bottom