Diving shorts w/pockets or strap on thigh pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the Apeks camp on the shorts too. One tip on sizing.. if you're a thin guy, get the smalls. Theres still plenty of room with my 3.5mm wetsuit.

I used a set of Highlands for a live aboard trip. They worked ok but the pockets fell apart and the d ring came off mid dive. Didn't love the fit either.

Have another live aboard scheduled and just picked up a pair of the DGX pockets shorts. Unfortunately they seem to be the same maker as the Highland set.

I may look for another option. Just wish the Apeks were priced a bit less as they look about perfect.

I had a pair of the Apeks shorts and returned them. I didn't like the plastic-like fabric overlay with the resultant stiffness.

Has anybody tried the Mares XR tek shorts?
600.jpg

Has anybody tried the Mares XR tek shorts?
View attachment 470869

Was about to post a new thread with this very question...
Anybody have a "hands on" with these bad boys?

I tried some Kona brand. Sent them back to Amazon after the first dive trip. D rings corroded, seam seperated on one of the pockets. They were $75, now they are $50 and Kona has a "premium" model at $75. They had the plastic snap on the belt like the Apeks, and I found it to be uncomfortable. But I'm not convinced that the DGX/Highland and Scubapro drawstring setup will feel secure enough. And the ScubaPro pockets seem small. The Mares look like they'd be very secure yet comfortable with no hard plastic buckles...

Just get the Apeks. Buy once, cry once.

One guy on our team has the Apeks. He likes them, but he said to get the Chinese knock-offs because of the cost. However, given the numerous bad reviews for those, I think he probably said that simply to be nice to save me money. A different guy on the team has the IST holster. He loves them.

I've been 'hmm'ing' and 'haww'ing' over what to do. I need storage. I've gone BP/W now, and I bought the Highland glue on pockets initially. But, I've not glued them on. Debating whether I really want to do that or just purchase the Halycon pockets for the waist webbing.

After switching to a BP/W and starting technical diving I was also looking for storage for things like spare mask, lights, reels, etc. Since I also use different suits for cold water and warm water, I looked for more portable solutions than buying multiple sets of glue on pockets.

I first tried the Dive Right thigh pocket but didn't like it because of the way it attaches it just didn't stay in place and was a pain to gear up with.

I had also read this same thread but elected to stay away from the stiffness of material and cost of the Scubapro and Apeks.

So I purchased the Dive Gear Express Neoprene cargo shorts (DGX Neoprene Pocket Shorts | Dive Gear Express®) right before I went to Truk Lagoon. After doing 96 dives in them on my three plus week trip I can say that I would recommend them wholeheartedly. They performed great and still look like new even after the abuse of diving around and through the tight spaces in the holds and engine rooms of the wrecks.

Just follow the advice on the page about sizing. I purchased a medium and they fit well even though the rest of my gear is either L or XL.

One guy on our team has the Apeks. He likes them, but he said to get the Chinese knock-offs because of the cost. However, given the numerous bad reviews for those, I think he probably said that simply to be nice to save me money. A different guy on the team has the IST holster. He loves them.

I've been 'hmm'ing' and 'haww'ing' over what to do. I need storage. I've gone BP/W now, and I bought the Highland glue on pockets initially. But, I've not glued them on. Debating whether I really want to do that or just purchase the Halycon pockets for the waist webbing.

I've tried the thigh pockets, the Halcyon pockets (attach to BP/W belt) and keep coming back to the Apeks. They seem to work the best for me. I dive mostly warm water and wear these over a thin bathing suit, so please take that into account.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom