Birthday gadget purchase: help me choose!

Which safety gadget?

• Nitrox Analyzer

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • EPIRB

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewdropsonrosa

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm staring down the barrel at my thirtieth birthday... in less than two weeks. Gulp.

On the other hand, a birthday is an excellent time to get more gadgets. I've narrowed my choice to two categories:

• Nitrox Analyzer
  • EPIRB

Background: I'm a Great Lakes wreck diver right now, but I'm moving to Seattle in September and will be doing a lot of shore diving. Have AN/DP, doing dives to 135-150 feet about twice a month now. Unsure of future access to deep sites without boating. Will be in grad school with reduced income to cover maintenance costs.

Also open to other essential equipment suggestions in the $200-300 range.

EPIRB +1. Without a doubt from a safety perspective. Especially with you moving to coast. Why would anyone want to take the chance to being lost at sea with nothing but a whistle, SMB and a flashlight... Although unlikely to be lost, not worth the risk. :)

EPIRB

I vote for the EPIRB, but if you go with the Nitrox analyzer, make sure it checks CO, too

I'm staring down the barrel at my thirtieth birthday... in less than two weeks. Gulp.

I'd sell my soul (again?) if I could be staring down the barrel of my 30th birthday. 30, what an amazing age of a few decades ago. It's was like my teens, but with money.

Go with the NITROX analyzer. You'll get lots of use out of that. Oh, and shut up about your age young lady. Enjoy it! 30's are f**king AWESOME!!!! I'd love a total redo of my 30's. I had a blast.

EDIT: Speaking of my 30's. I was an NYC Club Kid in my 20's and 30's. My regular haunt was the Limelight. I didn't enter the club via the main entrance. I had my own private VIP entrance around the corner. The cool part was when H.R. Giger came to NYC and created our VIP room. It was so awesome!!!!
HRGiger.com - Limelight Club NYC

So yeah, enjoy your 30s!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom