Backward kick and cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

While photographing, I tend to use my backward kick continuously for a while, resulting in a severe calf cramp.

Any idea how to avoid this?

Thank you.

I only got rid of my cramps from back and frog kicking through doing them more often. You can massage your calf and use the normal fin pulling technique to get rid of the cramp underwater, but for me I only stopped getting them after constantly practicing the kicks. I don't know how long you've been using that style of kicking, so perhaps your leg muscles aren't adjusted to it yet. If there's a sports or general doctor you can see, maybe also see them to make sure it isn't something else or that you haven't given yourself muscle strain while kicking.

nanners. eat mo nanners.
I have no medical training,,but many friends have told me this advice and it works for me.
If your diving cramps start at the beginning of the dive, you are hurting on Magnesium levels.
If your diving cramps start towards the latter part of the dive, you are hurting on Potassium levels.

You can change the motion or the potion,,the choice is the individual divers.

Bananas, Potassium and/or Magnesium supplements, hydration, and my miracle cure if you are in an area that has it cheap enough...coconut water (pineapple flavored please). We will usually freeze several and throw them in the dry bag. By the surface interval they are perfectly ice cold.

It seems that after getting warm during the surface interval, then dropping back in, I am prone to insane groin and hamstring cramps. Loading up on several coconut waters and bananas on the SI really helps.

Good luck.
Jay

Hi everyone,

While photographing, I tend to use my backward kick continuously for a while, resulting in a severe calf cramp.

Any idea how to avoid this?

Thank you.

Cramp in this situation is generally due to technique issues. I suspect that you are working too hard on the back kick, possibly with the wrong movements. This means that you're working opposing muscles at the same time, and that leads to cramp. The back kick should be really slow and relaxed. There isn't really any power used in a back kick, so it shouldn't cause to you cramp.
Maybe get someone to video you doing it, and then we can advise more.

HTH
John

New science on cramping relief. Hot peppers, pickle juice, ginger, cinnamon. There is a neural reflex that leads to cramps, at least in distance runners, that can be broken through oral taste receptors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/asweat...use-of-muscle-cramps-its-not-dehydration/amp/

I’ve personally found that bits of candied ginger work (for running), easily carried, not expensive, not terrible tasting. Of course, general fitness and usage of the involved muscle is necessary as well, as it is an underlying fatigue issue.

Back
Top Bottom