$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started working on putting together my DIY Hookya system. I have run into a roadblock. I can't figure out how to connect the second stage ocotpus to a standard air hose. Quick disconnects at a local dive shop are not compatible with standard air hose and local hardware stores don't have quick disconnects small enough to fit an octopus hose. For those that have been successful, how did you mate the regulator to a standard air hose? Can you provide a link to the part I need? I appreciate the help.

I would recommend looking at the hoses that are used in the Brownies, or at least their QD's. You want to stay with a regulator hose on the second stage and have the quick disconnect clipped to a belt or it is going to be horrifically uncomfortable and you risk jerking the regulator out of your mouth.

The QRS fittings are 3/8npt fittings which are easy for using standard hoses. Most home depot type stuff is 1/4" NPT but an adapter to 3/8 is easy, or just finding 3/8 hoses is not hard either.

Regulator to QRS if you want to buy the hose from them
Hose 2nd stage regulator
If not, need one of these to go from the end of a regulator hose to NPT
1/4 NPT male to 3/8-24 female Stainless Steel Fitting , Piranha Dive Shop |
then one of these to go 1/4" to 3/8" to connect to the QRS
PARKER Brass Reducing Coupling, FNPT, 3/8" x 1/4" Pipe Size, 1 EA - 13Y913|208P-6-4 - Grainger

Alternatively you could use a QC6 which are quite expensive, but we use them in rebreather diving for quick disconnects. Those come standard in NPT fittings so the long hose end is easy, just order a female 1/4" or 3/8" npt. On the regulator hose end, you get a female 1/4" NPT and one of these guys, then just screw your reg hose in
1/4 NPT male to 3/8-24 female Stainless Steel Fitting , Piranha Dive Shop |

Thanks tbone1004. If it fits, I think all I need is the 1/4 NPT male to 3/8-24 female Stainless Steel Fitting. Then I should be able to use a 1/4" male quick disconnect fitting to connect to my hose. I ordered fitting and we will see if it works. I appreciate the help.

Thanks tbone1004. If it fits, I think all I need is the 1/4 NPT male to 3/8-24 female Stainless Steel Fitting. Then I should be able to use a 1/4" male quick disconnect fitting to connect to my hose. I ordered fitting and we will see if it works. I appreciate the help.

be careful with standard quick disconnects for air hoses. They usually have plain steel inside of them, usually the springs, so I would very much not recommend using that as an option. You really need to use a QD that is designed for underwater use. The QRS fittings are plastic and are not expensive. $11/side, so $22 for a pair and you only need one. That's a much better decision IMO...

What does "QD" and "QRS" stand for? Are these the fittings you describe above. If so, it's what I ordered and I think I can get away with no quick disconnect under water. The only one will be on the air compressor. Also, keep in mind my use for this is just to clean a swimming pool. I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

@Jim Reece QD is the generic term for quick disconnect. QRS is the "quick release swivel" from Brownie's that is designed specifically for hookah use.
qrs fitting, quick release swivel, another diver, add a diver, brownie's third lung, hookah, snuba, spare fittings, plastic fittings

This is for the quick disconnect that usually lives on your hip. You plug the compressor into this which is clipped onto your hip, then you have a regulator hose that comes up to your mouth. Even in a swimming pool it's pretty critical that you have something like this for comfort. Less so on safety since it's a pool, but it will be incredibly uncomfortable for you trying to drag the full length of stiff and floating hose from your mouth.
The hose that goes from the pump to your hip is basically a standard air hose, just make sure it has brass fittings instead of steel. The compressor side can be a standard air quick disconnect, no need to get anything special with that.

Campbell Hausfeld DC040500

Can you guys tell me if this will work for hookah? I believe it to be diaphragm and definitely oilless.

@DanaHunt yes it will work.

If diving in salt water you'll probably want to make your own.

Brownie's uses 5/16" ID 300psi hose with 3/8" NPT fittings to use their QRS system. You'll want to use their QRS if possible, they're cheap, they swivel, and they won't corrode.
If you're going to DIY or have a local gas supplier make them *better idea* since they have the crimp tools, then finding a potable water/food grade hose is probably going to be just as good.

Hi all, very interested in following suit, and made a login specifically for this thread. I really only have one unconfirmed question/concern. It's mentioned here by tbone1004 that the Kobalt or similar compressor is a diaphragm pump. Has anyone truly confirmed this via disassembly or other method? I'm haven't been able to find a parts explosion or anything short of buying one and disassembling. Standard internet sources call that a dual-piston, or duplex. For example, look at the picture in this link:
Bring Down the Noise - How to Buy a Quiet Air Compressor

Even the Kobalt manual makes mention of a "piston" if you download the manual from the lowes description.

It looks like it could be a diaphragm pump but I want to be confident as I don't want to deal with friction, heat, and potentially inhaling xyz gases.

Thanks in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom