Ultimate Dive Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ultimate dive truck should address the climate change hurting our oceans. Ford and VW are working on a joint electric platform for midsize trucks and vans. Meanwhile heavy gas guzzlers are counter intuitive to a plan that is forward thinking. Luxury doesn’t have to be bigger, thirstier, meaner to the environment.
I heard there are a couple electric mini mokes on the island, if they are getting charged with photovoltaic then I think they are the best Bonaire dive trucks. And best for Bonaire dive trucks.
That’s a great idea, given the gas prices on the island. My first trip there when I pulled up to the pump I was thrilled about the gas prices. Then I saw that they measured their fuel in liters

I see no market for that just as I see no market for the luxury truck that’s the subject of this thread. My prediction is that the Bonaire beater will continue to rule for a long time. But we shall see. Who knows.

I have to be honest....this engagement has been very interesting and appreciated.

Let us be clear: We are not trying to "take over the market" and replace or disrupt the traditional pick up trucks.
That will likely be the predominant market for years to come for those who can dive manual transmission and don't mind balancing their equipment on the tailgate of the truck one at a time......

We are simply desiring to contribute to the dive community here on Bonaire by providing a small fleet of luxury dive trucks so that divers can enjoy the experience more by setting up their equipment simultaneously while the tanks are secured in an upright position.

Count me IN as a customer for my next trip. I'll be in touch.

We appreciate the vote of confidence!
After diving in this truck for the past week.....with other PADI pros and clients......it has been AMAZING!

We look forward to improving the dive experience for you and others you may know.

Give us a shout in advance to your next trip and we will look forward to serving you!

There is another potential angle on the electric or hybrid vehicle idea to consider, without taking the thread too far off on a tangent. Been awhile, so perhaps things have changed vs. what I've been told. First off, when considering environmental impact, you've got to consider what damage is done getting the materials to make the batteries, etc... A little quick Googling pulled up one link on that. An article I read years ago commented on the fact batteries have limited life and in vehicles can be pretty large and heavy; when the vehicle is older, resale value could be hampered if a hybrid has a mostly used up, heavy and hard and/or expensive-to-replace battery (that might get dumped on the island?). Plus if electric vehicles are more expensive up front, it might be more than a starting business can handle. Also have to wonder whether such vehicles would have parts that take longer and cost more to get to or on Bonaire.

Long story short: I'm skeptical that an electric truck fleet is going to work for this right now. Maybe someday.

As is usually the case, those that are on a budget don't typically see any "value" in things of luxury. There is nothing wrong with being budget minded, it's just ridiculous to think ot is a bad concept because YOU are not interested.

I will be on my first Bonaire trip in five days to scope out the island for group trips. Some of my clients would absolutely LOVE this concept.

Don't let the naysayers keep you down @UltimateDiveTrucksBonaire!! You have a unique concept that fills a niche. I've found these to be the most successful.

Luxury diving is fine. That’s why I do liveaboards and resorts. But when I want to get away from that, do something different—back to basics diving—I go to Bonaire.

As is usually the case, those that are on a budget don't typically see any "value" in things of luxury. There is nothing wrong with being budget minded, it's just ridiculous to think ot is a bad concept because YOU are not interested.

Please understand that I (and I think others expressing some skepticism) are trying to provide constructive feedback about what we perceive to be questionable viability of the product offering/business model in that setting, hoping it may be useful. I'm not issuing an expectation of doom, and I'd really like it to succeed. Said in the spirit of 'Go in with your eyes wide open,' not 'It won't work, quit now.'

Richard.

I see no market for that just as I see no market for the luxury truck that’s the subject of this thread. My prediction is that the Bonaire beater will continue to rule for a long time. But we shall see. Who knows.

We are in agreement that the typical beater dive truck will dominate the rental market for at least my lifetime.

I disagree that there isn't a market for an upscale alternative. As I stated before, there are a lot of upscale properties on the island and the people who own/rent them aren't going to see a $750 weekly rental as a barrier. (including the high cost of fuel) Lot of very nice houses and villas on Bonaire (especially the ones you can see from a boat north of town).

I can see an upscale option appealing to a family of 5, one of them not being a diver. That is the type of travel group who is likely to rent a house/villa and a more suitable vehicle.

Do I also see potential problems, yes. This is a new start up and there will be changes in the plan as it hits reality. BTW, if the cooler in the bed isn't well secured, I hope you have a lot of replacements.

Back
Top Bottom