Help!!! Recommendation needed regarding Sony A7III and Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fesguerra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I've been looking all around the internet for recommendations regarding the Sony A7iii (not aA7iiiR) and it's respective Ikelite underwater housing.

Basically, I'm a new instructor and fanatical photographer and have been researching for a good reliable entry camera that can also work as a main underwater system. Many reviews of the new A7iii demonstrate its amazing capabilities out of water and that's why I've chosen this camera.

Nonetheless, I can't be able to fin many underwater enthusiasts that use this camera or even review the Ikelite housing. So questions flood my head constantly and if you can help me make up my mind I would greatly appreciate it. Beforehand, I have a limited budget of around 5-6k USD to buy the camera, housing, ports and lenses (lights can wait for now).

So basically, here we go: how reliable are Ikelite housings? Is the new Dry Lock Port System any good? Is the Sony A7iii a good camera for underwater video and photo or are there any alternatives around the same price range? If yes, what affordable lenses are recommended?

Excuse the long post but if you can help me out I'll be very very grateful and in the case we ever bumb with each other, I'll gladly get you some refreshing beers.

Thanks a lot :)

Underwater shooting is very different from topside in the way light behaves underwater. Not only is it the amount of light but the wavelengths, usually the lack of red as we are so familiar with which results in photos that are often too blue or green. One thing I have noticed with Sony cameras is the manual white balance maxes out underwater, so it requires some post processing or you will need some lighting, or possibility both. Just something to keep in mind.

I know a few people who have owned Ikelite housings and they weren’t so excited about them compared to Fantasea. I would also have a look at those. :)

I shoot the A7iii in a Sea and Sea housing. I personally have no experience with Ikelite but my dive buddy shoots Nikon in Ikelite housing and is very happy with it. I used a Fantasea housing with previous setup and was happy with it, but I understand that they are not currently making a housing for the a7iii.

I love the a7iii with Sony 90 macro lens and 2 ysd2 strobes. But it’s an expensive setup. The Sony lenses are expensive and you need to make sure the housing ports match up with the lenses you want to use. Also Sony menus take some time to get used to. I shoot raw so color balance is not an issue. Color tone is whatever I want it to be in post.

If you are just starting out in underwater photography you might want to start out with something simpler. The housing, ports, strobes add up to a lot of gear. My camera bag is almost as big as my dive gear bag. Good, manageable compact systems like Sealife, Olympus can be had used for cheap. If you are experienced topside photographer, and ok with all the gear, you can get a great used Nikon/Canon system for a fraction of new price. It will just be an older model with fewer pixels, slower autofocus etc., but still a great camera.

All good choices. And the gear is secondary to your creative vision and diving skills.

Have fun with it!

E1A85FFA-3A06-404F-8E56-0DAC76473F8C.jpeg
1CE71F07-7DE2-4178-9455-5FE9B3F8A73F.jpeg
87F18E77-DD98-4CA7-8EA5-3C20414FEA53.jpeg
ADDA1C0F-BB29-400B-A98A-46EFE03D6B28.jpeg

Underwater shooting is very different from topside in the way light behaves underwater. Not only is it the amount of light but the wavelengths, usually the lack of red as we are so familiar with which results in photos that are often too blue or green. One thing I have noticed with Sony cameras is the manual white balance maxes out underwater, so it requires some post processing or you will need some lighting, or possibility both. Just something to keep in mind.

I know a few people who have owned Ikelite housings and they weren’t so excited about them compared to Fantasea. I would also have a look at those. :)

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've heard the same for the old a Sony cameras but apparently the white balance and color technology has been improved for this last model. Nonetheless, I'll take into consideration your response. Thank you!

I shoot the A7iii in a Sea and Sea housing. I personally have no experience with Ikelite but my dive buddy shoots Nikon in Ikelite housing and is very happy with it. I used a Fantasea housing with previous setup and was happy with it, but I understand that they are not currently making a housing for the a7iii.

I love the a7iii with Sony 90 macro lens and 2 ysd2 strobes. But it’s an expensive setup. The Sony lenses are expensive and you need to make sure the housing ports match up with the lenses you want to use. Also Sony menus take some time to get used to. I shoot raw so color balance is not an issue. Color tone is whatever I want it to be in post.

If you are just starting out in underwater photography you might want to start out with something simpler. The housing, ports, strobes add up to a lot of gear. My camera bag is almost as big as my dive gear bag. Good, manageable compact systems like Sealife, Olympus can be had used for cheap. If you are experienced topside photographer, and ok with all the gear, you can get a great used Nikon/Canon system for a fraction of new price. It will just be an older model with fewer pixels, slower autofocus etc., but still a great camera.

All good choices. And the gear is secondary to your creative vision and diving skills.

Have fun with it!
Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to see some pictures of Cartagena, i hope you enjoyed your time there (although diving is not the best).

Is there anywhere where I can see some more pictures of yours with the A7iii? Also, I've been into photography for quite a long time so I'm familiar with post processing software for photo and video and the workings of the camera itself. Regarding underwater, I have used point and shoots and action cameras so thats the reason I want to bump up to more flexible set ups.

Considering buying a second hand gear was also an option but I haven't been able to find a reputable source to do this. I'm kind of skeptical of buying this type of gear online since you never know what you get until it's to late. I'm currently living in New York so if you have any recommended places to go check out some gear let me know.

If you haven't been yet, head over to Adorama Camera. Upstairs from them is Leisurepro. Bring lots of money :wink: Between camera and scuba gear you can cause some serious financial damage!

If you haven't been yet, head over to Adorama Camera. Upstairs from them is Leisurepro. Bring lots of money :wink: Between camera and scuba gear you can cause some serious financial damage!
Had never heard of it before. This was exactly what I neede, thank you. On my way to break the bank.

Had never heard of it before. This was exactly what I neede, thank you. On my way to break the bank.

In that case you need to know about B&H camera store. Also worth the visit for the sheer size of the place!

Other resale camera sites: KEH, FredMiranda, Facebook Marketplace, EBay, Craigslist and B and H and Adorama. I have bought from many of them, with good results, but it’s buyer beware, especially Craig’slist and eBay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom