Being left on the dive site: How to avoid and how to survive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im the same dimensions, the opposite might be good for insulation however I think severe obesity has a correlation to medical issues on land and moreso with scuba. especially as you get closer to the big five O

For the record, I was using irony to make the contrary point (namely, that becoming overweight is not a viable strategy for surviving at sea), and I was not advocating that anyone become obese, severely or otherwise, for the purpose of insulation.

Most of my diving is in areas close to shore or near civilization, If I was to plan a trip to areas far offshore and or subject to large currents I would look at getting a marine radio and PLB to take diving with me. Small versions of both could be easily housed in a light canister during the dives.

Having been drifting around for 90 mins in Musandam once, it was the DSMB that got that got someone on the boat attention, not a whistle or airhorn.

With engines running and other noise on a boat a whistle is about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike, nobody will hear it.

:rofl3:

I made sure that I stayed close to @Diving Dubai when I was diving with him in Musandam last time. He has humongous DSMB :D

More on the Persian Gulf side Dan, very close to the Energy Determination

Search for "Drifting Dan."

Short story: Some guy got left in the ocean for four hours after a dive. He was a sucky diver and the boat people blamed the victim. In the end, the Jury awarded him 1.68 Million American doll hairs. They were going to give him 2.1M but knocked a bit off the top due to how much Dan sucked. Most likely, his lawyer took 1.6 and left $80k for Dan.

It was an oil rig dive, off Huntington Beach, for which dive boats are supposed to be a bit more selective in the divers they take, not appropriate for inexperienced divers. The rigs are essentially open ocean and there is almost always current... sometimes mild, sometimes stronger (although the structure of the rig provides some protection.)

Dan was found to be partially responsible because he didn't follow the crew's directions (i.e. stay within the confines of the rig structure, before, during and after the dive) and he made no attempt to alert the boat to his presence when he surfaced outside the rig structure (in a relatively strong current.) In testimony, he claimed that his OW training had taught him to just "wait for the boat to come pick him up" if he was caught in a current. So that is what he did.

The crew was found negligent because after the dive they didn't know he was missing. When Dan's name was called at the roll call, someone responded and that was that. If I recall correctly, there was more than one Dan on the roster that day, which contributed to the confusion.

By pure chance, Drifting Dan crossed paths with another boat hours later and they plucked him out of the water.

An interesting sidenote: PADI was named as a defendant in the lawsuit because the DM on the boat was PADI. In their defense, PADI tried to explain that they had no direct control over the DM, but the jury didn't buy it. PADI got nailed for part of that $1.7 million settlement. And soon after they added a section to the PADI course waiver for students to acknowledge that instructors and DMs are not employees or agents or a couple other things of PADI.

As for the lawyer getting $1.6 million and Dan getting $80k... sounds about right.

Maybe the best insurance would to have a good friend come along as a nondiving boatsitter, especially if in a country where lax boat safety protocols are more common. It could even be a spouse. Just be sure that marital relations are good and that you are not overinsured.

For the record, I was using irony to make the contrary point (namely, that becoming overweight is not a viable strategy for surviving at sea), and I was not advocating that anyone become obese, severely or otherwise, for the purpose of insulation.

sorry I think we both had cheeseburger in cheek as it were.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom