7mil wetsuit for a fat guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a big guy as well and my honest recommendation is to look into a drysuit. If you're diving water cold enough for a 7mm, then it's plenty cold enough for diving dry. You'll find that its much more comfortable and you have increased freedom of movement. I ditched my heavy wetsuit years ago and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Good luck!

Drysuit strongly recommended. If your weight fluctuates, I would suggest looking at the AquaLung Fusion.

Yeah I just started working out, before I tore my tendons, and lost 26 pounds the first month. I've always been able to drop 30-50 ponds at the drop of a hat but it also comes back quick. I honestly don't know anything about drysuits. Are they fitted or do you just get something "off the rack"? Who would be the top manufacturers of drysuits?

Yeah I just started working out, before I tore my tendons, and lost 26 pounds the first month. I've always been able to drop 30-50 ponds at the drop of a hat but it also comes back quick. I honestly don't know anything about drysuits. Are they fitted or do you just get something "off the rack"? Who would be the top manufacturers of drysuits?

Fusion has stock sizes but they way they are made accommodates a wide variety of body sizes, as long as it fits your height. I get a much better fit with my Fusion than with my original custom suit. Inner waterproof core is cut large then the outer skin squishes it all together. Think of a garbage bag compressed by pantyhose. I’m short and round, and I’m hard to fit.

There are "standard" sizes of drysuits, and I think most (if not all) drysuit manufacturers also make custom sizes.

Dry-suits will keep you dry and therefore can keep you warmer than a wetsuit. They are far more expensive than wetsuits and require a little skill to use well. I own both and tend to favor the drysuit in any situation where I might wear a wetsuit thicker than 3mm. Diving in a wetsuit or even just a skin is generally nicer imo if the water is warm enough. Although you should take a class before using a drysuit the first time, most reputable shops that sell drysuits will include the class at no additional charge with a suit purchase.

Bare, DUI, are the ones I've seen most but there are probably 20 or more reputable drysuit brands. Viking, Waterproof, 4th element, SEAC, Santi are other brands I've heard good things about, but not actually seen in person.

FYI, when I say more expensive - I spent close to $4,000 on my drysuit. It was custom sized (bare calls it "made to measure") and had all the bells and whistles. There's lots of optional stuff on a drysuit, but I've seen new "low end" suits around $1,000. Lots of people on SB seem to use drysuits in that price range and based on the posts I've seen many of those people are happy.

Since fit is critical, drysuits are something that's usually best purchased from a store that is local to you. Ordering online seems like it would be a nightmare to get a good fit for a first timer. Generally local stores only sell one or two brands, so you have to go with whatever it is that they sell.

Bare Reactive 7mm comes in a 4XL, and someone like Chris Summers, Terrapin Wetsuits, at www.terrapinwetsuits.com can install various length leg and wrist zippers in whatever wetsuit you purchase. She also makes custom wetsuits. Give her a call. She is excellent.

Great info! Sound advice to take a drysuit class before using the suit for the first time. There are a few important safety issues to be aware of. The most important thing to remember is to not be intimidated by the suit, because once you dive dry (in cold water), you'll never go back. We like to say every day is summer in a drysuit!

If the drysuit option interests you, Deep6 and Otter and two brands that offer custom cuts for a very fair price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom