Pushing an old BC cave last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How deep did you get? Aaron and I did that in 2008 using megs. I had a bit of trouble on the first corner that goes around that big column (Restriction 2 from the video). I actually got stuck coming out and had to wait for Aaron to pull my legs to get me unstuck. It was a little nerve wracking for sure. We had clear slightly yellow tinged water with surprisingly little flow.
How was the road getting in? Were you able to right to the cave or did you stop at the river bed?

How deep did you get? Aaron and I did that in 2008 using megs. I had a bit of trouble on the first corner that goes around that big column (Restriction 2 from the video). I actually got stuck coming out and had to wait for Aaron to pull my legs to get me unstuck. It was a little nerve wracking for sure. We had clear slightly yellow tinged water with surprisingly little flow.
How was the road getting in? Were you able to right to the cave or did you stop at the river bed?
Yeah you aren't going to get very far in backmount in Tsulton.

The 1996 end of line was at 495m pen. and 42m depth. On OC that took 3 summers and I don't know how many dives to get in.

In basically 2 dives I extended that by about 75m on CCR. The cave goes slightly up to about 39m and ends at a plunge pool like "bowl". Imagine a plunge pool below a waterfall in a stream. Above that is a vertical slot about 20cm x 1.5m wide that was too small for me (or anyone with enough BO on really). I had 2x 130s of 18/45 sidemounted and had dropped an lp72 of O2 and an al40 of EAN 50 on the way in. I had planned on up to a 4 hr dive with the knowledge that I could do 5hrs as a contingency. The goal obviously was to connect this with Treasure cave which is ~450m away. The impassible restriction put an end to that goal. I did end up with just under a 3hr dive, the sidewinder with it's heated scrubbers was really ideal as the scrubber heater serves as a backup for suit heat.

The road is "ok". The section I filmed with Nat's truck is some of the roughest. That was actually constructed by cavers to connect the newer cutblocks with the older 1980s era cutblock roads. It allows vehicle access to the whole Glory 'ol cave area which the dry cavers have been pushing the past few years. My viceg friends cut the ~350m trail from the road down to Tsulton that you see us carrying bags down.

We went in June on purpose after hearing that later summer conditions can get tannic. So vis for us was pretty fabulous, basically as far as the next corner in the cave (which is never more than 5-10m ahead)

Yes, but many of the caves that Char and crew are doing aren't as wet as the one you're showing us here. She's up for almost anything. Maybe she'd be willing to meet up to play (as she calls it)
@nadwidny is in charge of the AB contingent for the August project actually. I'm sure she's invited I just don't know who's actually coming anymore.

He's at Bikini Atoll just now.

Ah, but you probably know that.

He's at Bikini Atoll just now.

Ah, but you probably know that.
Ya the slacker. We're hoping the island's not on fire again come August. Fire is more and more an impediment to BC cave diving which is already very seasonal.

Yeah you aren't going to get very far in backmount in Tsulton.

The 1996 end of line was at 495m pen. and 42m depth. On OC that took 3 summers and I don't know how many dives to get in.

In basically 2 dives I extended that by about 75m on CCR. The cave goes slightly up to about 39m and ends at a plunge pool like "bowl". Imagine a plunge pool below a waterfall in a stream. Above that is a vertical slot about 20cm x 1.5m wide that was too small for me (or anyone with enough BO on really). I had 2x 130s of 18/45 sidemounted and had dropped an lp72 of O2 and an al40 of EAN 50 on the way in. I had planned on up to a 4 hr dive with the knowledge that I could do 5hrs as a contingency. The goal obviously was to connect this with Treasure cave which is ~450m away. The impassible restriction put an end to that goal. I did end up with just under a 3hr dive, the sidewinder with it's heated scrubbers was really ideal as the scrubber heater serves as a backup for suit heat.

The road is "ok". The section I filmed with Nat's truck is some of the roughest. That was actually constructed by cavers to connect the newer cutblocks with the older 1980s era cutblock roads. It allows vehicle access to the whole Glory 'ol cave area which the dry cavers have been pushing the past few years. My viceg friends cut the ~350m trail from the road down to Tsulton that you see us carrying bags down.

We went in June on purpose after hearing that later summer conditions can get tannic. So vis for us was pretty fabulous, basically as far as the next corner in the cave (which is never more than 5-10m ahead)
It seems to make treasure cave you would have to deco to get in then since there is no easy way to get out by land you would have to surface interval then deco on your way out.
Very challenging project. Well done.

It seems to make treasure cave you would have to deco to get in then since there is no easy way to get out by land you would have to surface interval then deco on your way out.
Very challenging project. Well done.

Thanks man
Yes if it had kept going I was anticipating deco on the way in as well as out. Of course if the passage allows, the inbound deco might blow off as you go. It's pretty small for 2x 130s and the sidewinder, I had to take off the AL40 of EAN50 at one point to fit it along with me through a restriction. In the SMS75 with the sidewinder I hang my deco/stage bottles below me like backmount stages and I was too thick with it on me. So pretty slow going. Adding ~450m all the way to Treasure in this small and twisty of a tube would have been a hell of a dive.

I think it took me about 70mins to get to the end. 10mins of survey time for the shots I took. Then about 60mins to get back to my first stop around 40ft. Total deco was about 40mins. I use 50/70 GFs on my shearwater, as you know this is a really long way from the nearest chamber. I was plenty warm enough between the scrubber heat and my suit heat so definitely no rush.

She's over in AB and doesn't get to the island much at all. I know of her but we haven't met face to face.

I have a different project with some of the AB folks in August, not sure if she's coming or not. AB to Port McNeill is even more travel hours and money than it is for me coming from Washington (11-12hrs). And they have their own caves over there to work on too.
Char is coming to the August party.

Great video. Love the AC/DC soundtrack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom