Just went crazy buying new gear ($1400 Atomic BC1 BCD, TWO Atomic Cobalts, B2, M1, SS1..) STOP ME!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’d have done the same.... right? Is there anything left that I might wake up tomorrow and realize I *need* it, or can I finally hang my hat up and say “done”?

NO.
You need to see a shrink.
My message is not condescending.

NO.
You need to see a shrink.
My message is not condescending.

Centrals, I hope you are meaning to be humourous.

A set of Xstream second stages. (small, high performance. A strong contender for something a little nicer. More expensive, but while you're on a spending spree...)

(swap the inline octo for the necklaced Xstream and the BC1 for a BP/W to streamline your gear, in and out of the water.)

But go for it, have fun. But maybe stop buying stuff, (except the above of course....)

Join SCUBA Gear Anonymous (SGA)

My opinion, you bought some good, quality gear, at a good price.

You didn't overpay, and most of it could be sold for close to what you paid for it. Before heading east I'd grab an intermediate pressure gauge (cheap to buy online). That way you can monitor the health of your first stage, and give this forum good information if you have an issue and need advice.

The only thing I would not have bought, the BCD. Other then that, you have some ok gear, that you got cheap, and you even have some spares if something happens to your primary items...

NO.
You need to see a shrink..
@Centrals For what? I looked up the symptoms of oniomania/CSD (compulsive shopping disorder) and it requires two components to diagnose someone as having that I don’t exhibit: 1) the shopping experience has to be intensely exciting, sometimes even to the point of sexual release, and 2) the completion of the purchase often results in a sense of being let down or disappointment. If I’m being completely honest, I’m a little bit excited to have a whole new scuba setup, but I’m not EXCITED about it, if you catch my drift. I would say I’m reasonably excited. And I don’t feel one single bit of disappointment or letdown. Plus, if it were shopping as an underlying condition to fill some void, it would evidence itself in more areas than just buying separate components for a new scuba setup, I would think.

I may have given your comment more attention than it deserves, but anytime you tell someone, apparently in all seriousness, that they need to see a mental health professional, that person should evaluate what led to that recommendation, and objectively see if their actions rise to the level of professional intervention. Plus, the “STOP ME” part of the threat title was tongue-in-cheek, not an express (or even unconscious) cry for help.

[Get] a set of Xstream second stages.
I looked at Poseidon’s line, but I didn’t like that the jet stream vented only to one side (so if you tilt your head that direction, bubbles will always cross your field of vision, unlike dual exhaust vents, and also I found that (if I’m not mistaken) the IP on Atomic and Cressi 1st stages doesn’t play with Poseidon’s 2nd stages without serious adjustment.

Cobalt is likely another waste of money for tech diving.

@eelnoraa Can I ask why you think this? Like I mentioned in some earlier posts I made, I really know almost nothing about tech diving. When I looked at the specs for the cobalt I saw that it is trimix compatible and figured that would equate to a tech-capable computer. Plus, with two separate computers, I can hook one up to each tank if I had to. Redundancy redundancy redundancy. :wink: Or is it because they aren’t wireless? I’m asking your explanation because I’m genuinely curious.

My opinion, you bought some good, quality gear, at a good price. You didn't overpay, and most of it could be sold for close to what you paid for it. Before heading east I'd grab an intermediate pressure gauge (cheap to buy online).

@noj3333 Thanks. That’s really solid advice. I actually found a IP gauge last week on LeisurePro for $10, marked down from 60. Shipping was $3. Got it in on Friday and realized my Cressi reg was 151, so I dropped it down 15. I put it in my “scuba tool“ pelican case, along with my regulator wrenches and strap wrenches… And Leatherman of course.

Here’s the link to the $10 IP gauge, if anyone wants to snag one for cheaper than it costs to DIY one from parts: Aqua Intermediate Pressure Gauge with BCD QD Fitting

The guy who I bought the first stage from actually runs a regulator repair service in Florida, and deals with my local dive shop, which I didn’t realize before I bought the regulator from him. He put it as low as possible so that if it does creep up in warmer water it shouldn't be an issue... but you’re right - 3x dives a day for 6 months means something will need fixing at some point.

sorry, I thought you need to hear some feedback to tell you stop, so I went a bit over. You get a good price for them, enjoy while you can. When you get into tech, you will most likely ditch the cobalts. It is not because it isn't wireless. It is the form factor, bulkiness, length of hose needed ...I just haven't seen anyone with cobalts. Redundancy doesn't work that way either.

Cobalts use a proprietary version of RGBM. Useless for tech diving. Trimix compatible? I had no idea...

@noj3333realized my Cressi reg was 151, so I dropped it down 15.[/QUOTE]

What did you do??

Cobalts use a proprietary version of RGBM. Useless for tech diving. Trimix compatible? I had no idea...
Oops, I misspoke. I went back and double-checked my statement.. apparently it can handle up to 3 mixes per dive, but isn’t trimix compatible. Specifically, the review I was reading says “Nitrox percentages are set between 21 and 99% in 1% increments. You can also enter up to two other mixes for a single dive, and set Gas Switch Alerts for specific planned depths during both descent and ascent.” Sorry about the inaccuracy.

Source: https://www.atomicaquatics.com/reviews_PDF/DIVER_Cobalt_test.pdf

What did you do??
Turned the adjustment ring on the 1st stage counter-clockwise until the IP gauge read 135 instead of 151. It took a few tries to get it dialed in right. If you want specifics on how exactly it was done, the service manual for the 1st stage is here (see page 11): https://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/cressi-sub/XS2Firststage.pdf

sorry, I thought you need to hear some feedback to tell you stop, so I went a bit over. You get a good price for them, enjoy while you can. When you get into tech, you will most likely ditch the cobalts. It is not because it isn't wireless. It is the form factor, bulkiness, length of hose needed ...I just haven't seen anyone with cobalts. Redundancy doesn't work that way either.
Oh, ok! I get it now. Reading some of the responses just in this thread alone make me realize how little I actually know, and how much I have to learn about TD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom