Fish bomb kills DM, tourists - Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose but the whole situation seems very strange, not limited to the dive boat leaving them and coming back in an hour to supposedly find the wrong kind of bubbles.
Not disagreeing with you there. Just pointing out a possible explanation for the bubbles coming up from dead people.

Just as an alternative explanation, if Malaysia is anything like any of "those" countries, there's a strong incentive to write this off to a semi-plausible excuse to not do a proper investigation.

What is "those" countries?

Not Canada, US, or Western Europe, I think. Well administered former colonies might also not be included. Basically places where there is enough lack of governmental transparency and/or endemic corruption such that reported news is likely not true.

Not Canada, US, or Western Europe, I think. Well administered former colonies might also not be included. Basically places where there is enough lack of governmental transparency and/or endemic corruption such that reported news is likely not true.
Unfortunately, that's the situation in the US as well. Maybe Canada or Western Europe fares better?

Explosives underwater don't kill with shrapnel but a pressure wave, I have experienced them a few times, closest was around 100 meters away and it caused a lung squeeze, I was tasting blood and coughing for 2 days. Ones that were more than 300 meters away feel like something hit you in the guts and cause a lot of disorientation.

I can see how someone would be killed if he was any closer.

Mostly it's not even so much "corruption" or lack of transparency, rather it's more like selective enforcement of "too many laws".

There is, for example, a country where an ME works in the prosecutor's office. If a person were to collapse stepping into a swimming pool, after partying all night long, their death could be officially closed as "drowning". Because a SOP post-mortem blood test would have to land on the prosecutor's desk, who would then be derelict in his duties if he didn't order several criminal investigations, one per each substance listed in said blood test. To great inconvenience to himself, all party goers, the ME, the paramedics, the investigators, and everyone in general.

Don't ask me how I know. :(

Just as an alternative explanation, if Malaysia is anything like any of "those" countries, there's a strong incentive to write this off to a semi-plausible excuse to not do a proper investigation.
What part of the available info leads you to make any such statement?
The news article in post #5 says it is being treated as murder, and that a boatman and assistant are being held for the investigation. I just can’t tell if that is the dive boat crew, or a fishing boat crew.

What part of the available info leads you to make any such statement?
The news article in post #5 says it is being treated as murder, and that a boatman and assistant are being held for the investigation. I just can’t tell if that is the dive boat crew, or a fishing boat crew.

Picking the nearest poor schmuck, with much fanfare and publicity, to be the fall guy is the flip side of the same thing. Particularly if furriners are involved.

I would not be too surprised if those two actually dropped surplus claymore mines right on top of those poor divers, and the whole thing is true. But the point is I'm highly skeptical, I doubt anyone in local LE wants to know what really happened, and so we never will either.

Wasn't there a there a thread here recently about an accident in Indonesia (India?) that was prosecuted as a murder too? And someone local posted and explained the hows and the whys?

PS to answer your question specifically, when someone respectable urges authorities to
Take action that will serve as a lesson to all. Otherwise, they will keep on doing the same thing
and those arrested are referred to as "sea gypsies", that's where I start thinking "yeah right".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom