Looking for experienced Scubapro tech to rebuild older regs

Who does a good job of rebuilding older Scubapro regs? My LDS botched my service.

• Best Scubapro service shop

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Vintage regs

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would like to service my own gear but will seek outside help on this one.

How about a dividing the work? The first stage may require tools you are not likely to have-so send it off for service. The second stages only require common tools, so tackle them one at a time.

Scubapro isn't the only one who operates this way. Other manufactures do the same.

I also hear the same complain with skiers. I work in an area that sells boats, RVs, watercraft, water skiing gear, and downhill skiing equipment. I hear the same comments, about older equipment / gear, as I do about scuba gear. The manufactures simply stop making the parts for the older gear. A third party may make parts, but it isn't always worth the store to buy from them, unless it servicing a lot of older stuff. In short, the scuba industry is not all that different than other recreational activities.

The op has a Scubapro reg. The fact that others do the same is irrelevant but true.

How about a dividing the work? The first stage may require tools you are not likely to have-so send it off for service. The second stages only require common tools, so tackle them one at a time.
That sounds like a good idea. I thought it would be better to have all the regs conected so that eveeything can be optimized. I guess not. Good advice.

I thought it would be better to have all the regs conected so that eveeything can be optimized.
^^^this is true. You'll fine tune the second stages to the first stage after you get it back.

Rent or own, a full tank will be needed to complete the regulator tuning.

couv/Bob I see another little hint no one has picked up on...he says it creeps but the octo is dribbling air. My guess is the first is NOT sealing but rather reaching an equilibrium so the IP does not go any higher but is in fact still leaking.

I am pretty sure Airtec will service it, they are a SP dealer. I know most of the techs personally, regs are what they do for a living, not just on the side when the other shop work is done. They are not the cheapest but they are first rate and will not BS you.

Did you get a bag of parts back?? If not I am highly suspect of the work that was done. If you didn't my bet is rather than a rebuild - which means installing a number of new parts, you got a dissemble, clean and reassemble with old parts. Always demand the old parts back.

couv/Bob I see another little hint no one has picked up on...he says it creeps but the octo is dribbling air. My guess is the first is NOT sealing but rather reaching an equilibrium so the IP does not go any higher but is in fact still leaking.

It is good an IP guage has been ordered, hoping Pawleysdiver will let us know the result prior to sending the MK10 off. I am certainly curious...

You guys are great. Raleigh is a couple of hours from me. I will give Airtech a call. No, I did not get any parts back. The only reason I am trying to use these regs is all of the comments on this board that the mk 10 and G250 combo is one of the best combos ever. I have read that the newer models are not as good as the better designed older regs. I thought I had bought the best back in the day and it would be really cool if I could still use it safely. My original 2nd stage was the Air 1, which I still have. It was a great reg, but breathed a little wet when upside down. That is why I got the G250.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom