DS160 and Focus Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btscott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Upgrading my system. Getting an Ikelite Housing for my 70D. Going to get 2 DS160's and 2 lights for video. Thinking Orcatorch D910v. Regardless, question... Will the Ds160's modeling light be sufficient as a focus light or would a Kraken sports hydra 1000+ wsr be better. Thanks!

Will the Ds160's modeling light be sufficient as a focus light or would a Kraken sports hydra 1000+ wsr be better. Thanks!

With two strobes you will likely not want either of them pointing directly at your subject, hence the modelling/focus light the strobe provides is of little value.
I have the Kraken sports hydra 1000+ wsr and find this to be a good focus light. I use the Red light at night and that is very effective in not disturbing critters and fish. I also like the auto-off feature.

Thank you. How well does the auto off feature work? Curious how it knows the strobe is firing. I haven't found any info about auto off other than listing it as a feature.

Thank you. How well does the auto off feature work? Curious how it knows the strobe is firing. I haven't found any info about auto off other than listing it as a feature.
The Auto off is triggered by the strobe lighting up the area. When the strobe flashes, depending on the ambient light, the focus light turns off. This happens at close to the speed of light :) The Focus light turns back on after about 1 second.
With Auto off I do not get white or red 'hot spots' on my photos, but do get fast focusing when light is low, in overhangs, swim-throughs and at night.

The DS160 focus lights are very weak and are unlikely to affect a flash photo under nearly any circumstance, auto off or not. They may be useful for aiming the strobe, but you should almost never point the strobe directly at the subject. Instead aim the strobe so the edge of the light cone hits the subject for more dramatic effects.

The DS160 focus lights are very weak and are unlikely to affect a flash photo under nearly any circumstance, auto off or not. They may be useful for aiming the strobe, but you should almost never point the strobe directly at the subject. Instead aim the strobe so the edge of the light cone hits the subject for more dramatic effects.

Agreed

The DS160 Modeling light: 205 lm LED, and the DS160 manual says "modeling light will momentarily turn off and back on when the strobe is fired to avoid overexposure or hot spots in the image".

Sorry.... yes, I get how this would work with the DS160 modeling light and the DS160 would know to turn off the modeling light when the strobe was firing as its one unit. I am looking at using the Kraken sports hydra 1000+ wsr as a focus light. Was curious how the Kraken knew that the strobe was going to fire and would turn itself off to not allow any hot spots.

davehicks... Understand I should edge light the subject. However, feel free to throw any other tips my way... Always looking to get better at this:)

Sorry.... yes, I get how this would work with the DS160 modeling light and the DS160 would know to turn off the modeling light when the strobe was firing as its one unit. I am looking at using the Kraken sports hydra 1000+ wsr as a focus light. Was curious how the Kraken knew that the strobe was going to fire and would turn itself off to not allow any hot spots.

The Auto off is triggered by the strobe lighting up the area. When the strobe flashes, depending on the ambient light, the focus light turns off. This happens at close to the speed of light :) The Focus light turns back on after about 1 second.

The focus light has a light sensor in the light's head that detects the strobe, there are no interconnecting wires or optic fibres.

Thanks everyone. Going to pick one up. I do appreciate the help.

Last question for anyone that might know... How would it be best to mount this on a Ikelite DL housing. Can't find a YS connection for Ikelite housing. I can go from the 1/4-20 top mount to 1" ball and the use a ball to ball clamp to 1" ball to YS connection then to clamp on the light. I'm already using 2 triple ball clamps on strobe arms for video lights. Would like to use top housing mount if possible. Is this my only option?

I typically don't worry about my focus light when taking macro photos. It is NOT necessary for it to shut off when taking a picture IMHO.

A few caveats:
1) don't use the brightest possible setting on your focus light, use the lowest setting most of the time
2) use a wide angle flood light, if you can't then put a difusser on your focus light
3) use a shutter no slower than 1/60

The stobe is so so much brighter than than the focus light it should not be visible at all at normal fast shutters and lower ISO.

Back
Top Bottom