Polish diver dies in world record attempt to 333m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, they stopped recognizing deep air dives as I wrote.

The record you are referring to is a mixed gas dive, ie special breathing gas mix with lower oxygen content, lower nitrogen and additional helium vs air. 300ish meters on air is physiologically impossible, both due to oxygen toxicity and nitrogen narcosis, let alone WOB and its CO2 repercussions.
sorry I missed the “air” bit ...

I could maybe understand the depth attempt if he had invented some new type of experimental kit and had proven it in shallower water. A depth record attempt with conventional OC gear seems much less likely to make an important contribution to the diving community.

Is there someone here familiar enough with the guideline situation to shed some light on how one can become entangled in it? How is it followed or held during ascent? Is no cutting tool carried or accessible with the gear worn for such a dive?

That reason befuddles me a bit..

At that depth HPNS is enough of a problem that it's difficult enough to change regs, let alone cut lines or do simmilar tasks.

I both agree and disagree with some of the posts here. I think an individual has the right to pursue a deep bounce dive, for a record, or for a personal best. I do not like the idea of promoting it or chest thumping about the event though, this just seems like a challenge to many. I think that too many people are not fully aware of the risk vs. reward factor in doing such deep dives and still have that false invincibility idea stuck in their heads. When things go sideways that deep, the chances of a fatality are exponentially higher than on a shallow dive.

In the link to Ahmed Gabr world record diving I see he carried 5 tanks on his back. With all the gears associated with those tanks. I can see increase risk of entanglement with the guideline.

Reading the bit about the guideline reminded me of Sheck Exley’s death, he was found with guideline wrapped around the tank valve. Interpretation remains that in Sheck’s case, he knew he wasn't coming back and wanted to minimize the risk for a potential recovery team ...

Keep in mind that the diver was not found on the line by the support divers or recovery team. So he died through entanglement but was floating free when support divers made visual contact?

In the link to Ahmed Gabr world record diving I see he carried 5 tanks on his back. With all the gears associated with those tanks. I can see increase risk of entanglement with the guideline.

Dan...

Five...I'm counting nine for sure...possibly 10...

This is not recreational scuba diving...potential death by mis-adventure maybe...

We as sport enthusiasts...have only one mission...the deepest/longest/highest endurance/most task loading...etc...etc...etc...is not the one mission...getting back on the dive boat/shore ALIVE...is the one and only mission...

Photo A...should never be followed by photo B...

W...

stupid ****.jpg
Horse-drawn-hearse.jpg

Is there someone here familiar enough with the guideline situation to shed some light on how one can become entangled in it? How is it followed or held during ascent? Is no cutting tool carried or accessible with the gear worn for such a dive?

That reason befuddles me a bit..
He quite possibly wrapped himself around it on purpose the same way Sheck Exley did to allow for his own recovery. That was way back in 1994.

Back
Top Bottom