Location recommendations for new divers, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also thought of a liveaboard, but with a $5000 total budget including airfare during the high season, there may not be many LOB options. Possibly if they get a good deal on a Bahamas LOB, or perhaps Saba or St. Croix.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We decided to book AKR for a week in the nicest room, which has AC and private waterfront deck. AKR has their two for one special running, so I think other mentioned resorts would be out of our budget. The airfare to Roatan was pretty high. We will bring plenty of DEET.

My husband keeps wanting to do a liveaboard. I'm hesitant because I enjoy some beach time, restaurants, and sightseeing on vacation. We will do a liveaboard eventually - but it does look like we need to budget a lot more for that trip.

AKR's two-fer deal is hard to pass up. It's what prompted my wife and me to give AKR a try. You'll have a great time.

If you want easy, laid back, nice views, good food and relaxed diving, and maybe save some money too....Cozumel fits the bill. Dives are really no more than a few hundred yards from shore and there are more sites than you can shake a stick at. See pretty anything and everything you want to see diving warm tropical waters. Just my two cents....I'll be there in August.

Honestly for Cozumel, I'd use one of the online services. Orbitz, Cheap Caribbean, etc. for your flights and hotels. Then do some research here on SB and find a dive operator you feel comfortable using. Several of them are vendors here and can even set up your entire trip for you. Just off the top of my head, Blue XTSea, Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, Dive with martin, all of these operators have very good names here on SB. So picking one really shouldn't be that daunting of a task. Hope this helps and I hope you find what you're looking for!

We did Cozumel in January and loved it. We booked a deal through expedia. We thought about doing a full week in Cozumel, but decided we want to go somewhere new to us for a longer trip. Cozumel is close enough to Atl and also affordable enough that we can easily do long weekend trips there, which is awesome.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We decided to book AKR for a week in the nicest room, which has AC and private waterfront deck. AKR has their two for one special running, so I think other mentioned resorts would be out of our budget. The airfare to Roatan was pretty high. We will bring plenty of DEET.

My husband keeps wanting to do a liveaboard. I'm hesitant because I enjoy some beach time, restaurants, and sightseeing on vacation. We will do a liveaboard eventually - but it does look like we need to budget a lot more for that trip.

A thought for the future, the Turks and Caicos are a good place to do a liveaboard because the nicest reefs are rather far from shore and some aren't easily accessible via day boats. It's an expensive destination, but if you go during the lower season you may find a good deal and the water will be warmer.

There are 2 LOBs that work the area (Aggressor and Explorer) and they sometimes offer specials. I believe that you can fly direct to Provo from Atlanta, and if you could spend a few days onshore - before boarding the LOB - you can enjoy Grace Bay Beach, which is absolutely gorgeous! And there are good restaurants and fun shops on Provo also. It would be a little longer trip but you could experience the best of both worlds - great LOB diving and terrific beach and shore activities.

Have fun at AKR and please post a trip report for it and for Key Largo!

My husband and I were certified in November. Since then, we've done Bonaire, Cozumel, some North FL rivers and springs, and we have a trip coming up to Key Largo.

We want to book a trip for March of 2020 and can't decide where to go. A travel agent at Caradonna Adventures has recommended Ambergris Caye (Ramon's), Roatan (Anthony's Key), or Grand Cayman (Cobalt Coast). It will be just the two of us and no kids.

I want awesome, easy diving, and a resort with pretty views and great food for when we aren't diving. Reviews about the awful sand fleas and mosquitoes have me hesitant about Roatan. I've read the diving in Belize isn't as good as the other locations. And Grand Cayman looks so manicured/upscale, and I think I'd prefer a more laid back vibe. But if the diving is superior and it has the great food, then it would probably win.

Opinions or other suggestions?
Vidanta Resort Mayan Riviera and isla Mujeres / cenotes
Vidanta Resort Mayan Riviera rental NON all inclusive 18 hole golf waterpark dive shop - YouTube
NOT all inclusive biggest rip off ever 2 bedroom sleeps 6 full kitchen golf and scuba onsite $1,000 per week

A thought for the future, the Turks and Caicos are a good place to do a liveaboard because the nicest reefs are rather far from shore and some aren't easily accessible via day boats. It's an expensive destination, but if you go during the lower season you may find a good deal and the water will be warmer.

There are 2 LOBs that work the area (Aggressor and Explorer) and they sometimes offer specials. I believe that you can fly direct to Provo from Atlanta, and if you could spend a few days onshore - before boarding the LOB - you can enjoy Grace Bay Beach, which is absolutely gorgeous! And there are good restaurants and fun shops on Provo also. It would be a little longer trip but you could experience the best of both worlds - great LOB diving and terrific beach and shore activities.

Have fun at AKR and please post a trip report for it and for Key Largo!

Completely agree with Kathy regarding diving from lob at Turks and Caicos when you can get a deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom